1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Causes Brain Damage

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, May 27, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article is from last year, and focuses on business and political leaders as examples, but I couldn't help thinking it must also apply to at least some of those who become powerful in medicine and academia. It offers another insight into how people can do the things they do.
    Emphasis added.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/528711/

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping likes this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some of that reminds me of claims from other research that weren't solid. Also, seems odd to present those sorts of changes (if they are present) as brain damage. Different experiences and circumstances are going to lead to changes in how peoples' brains work, but is that always damage?

4. Alvin

In the end almost nothing about us or the universe is inate, its all reverse engineered so there are many interpretations on things, i suspect the authors best theory is what they posted. I don't think its true but i doubt there is any malice involved, just naiveness.

Hutan, Esther12 and alktipping like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have always liked the saying that those who want power are always the least deserving of it . bad people will always abuse whatever power they have . life experience will tell you this without the need for studies . history of governments and rulers of all stripes shows that people who feel unaccountable to anyone will always behave in negative ways towards those without perceived power .

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  6. Alvin

Indeed, this is often true.
    Understanding why power corrupts is a good thing because we can hopefully use that knowledge in the future, from choosing better leaders to understanding why things are happening and how to deal with them.
    The problem becomes when we want evil or when people don't want to learn from experience or fall for obvious propaganda.