1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Posture support - does it work or make things worse in the long run?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Arnie Pye, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I asked my physical therapist about something similar a few weeks ago and she said it’s useless because it’s only holding you through tension and as soon as you take it off, everything will go back the way it was.

She gave me an exercise to do, which is really hard but would help if done everyday. You sit on the floor, leaning against a flat wall, legs crossed like an indian (don’t know how to say this). Then 3 parts of your body have to be touching the wall : the back of your head (lower your head a little, to tuck your chin), your shoulder blades and your bum. You can use your hands to help you force the position (by pressing against the floor).

You start with a few seconds or whatever you can tolerate, and slowly increase. She said 3 times a day but it hurts too much, I do it once a day. I’m now at 90 seconds and I started more than a month ago. It’s really hard.

This is probably too much for you, but just in case and maybe for someone else.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it making a noticeable difference in any way?

Dechi, ladycatlover and NelliePledge like this.
  3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I won’t know until I go back to my therapist and she evaluates me. I seem to have less back pain though.

She told me she had a patient who did and when she saw him after a couple of months, she could really tell he had been doing it. There was a significant difference in the curve of his spine.

Arnie Pye and ladycatlover like this.