1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-viral fatigue and COVID-19: lessons from past epidemics, 2020, Islam, Cotler and Jason

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by rvallee, Jun 26, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved from this thread: Possibility of ME or PVFS after COVID-19

Post-viral fatigue and COVID-19: lessons from past epidemics

Mohammed F. Islam , Joseph Cotler & Leonard A. Jason

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2020.1778227

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
    MEMarge, Michelle, merylg and 10 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a shame they didn't consider the lessons to be learned from the study of the Asian Flu epidemic. What we were always assured was the best quality science because it was a prospective and not retrospective study. The one where Fauci supported Strauss over his applying the findings to CFS.

I suppose we should not be surprised if idols have feet of clay.

You know the studies of which I speak. Imboden, Canter and Cluff. John Hopkin's finest.

Perhaps they should have widened the net to involve the CDC as well as the NIH. Didn't Holmes say in about 1985 of Tahoe and the Cheney/ Peterson practice that what there was was an epidemic of diagnosis. That's pure McEvedy and Beard. Who knew that their influence spread so far?

Oh, the lessons to be learned.

(Sorry. I'm in a frivolous mood)

MEMarge, alktipping, merylg and 2 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am so looking forward to a proper examination of how the noted ME outbreaks were dismissed as mass hysteria or not even studied, how something so big that destroyed millions of lives was built on hand-waving with zero effort. So much wasted by people who simply refused to do the most minimal attempt at their job.

And the use of proper vocabulary. I do not feel tired or fatigued, I feel sick. It includes fatigue but the sickness is far more significant. That this word is refused was a massive mistake. I'm sure the concept of idiopathic chronic fatigue will continue to have a long and effectively useless life for a while, but if at least we could separate feeling sick from vague fatigue, many things could get moving that were stubbornly blocked for the same reasons that the germ theory of disease was initially rejected by many: some things we can't see still exist no matter how strongly we wish them not to.

alktipping, merylg, Mithriel and 2 others like this.