1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Exercise Hypotension and Its Mechanisms Differ after Morning and Evening Exercise: A Randomized Crossover Study, 2015, Leandro de Brito

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance' started by Mij, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Post-exercise hypotension (PEH), calculated by the difference between post and pre-exercise values, it is greater after exercise performed in the evening than the morning. However, the hypotensive effect of morning exercise may be masked by the morning circadian increase in blood pressure.

This study investigated PEH and its hemodynamic and autonomic mechanisms after sessions of aerobic exercise performed in the morning and evening, controlling for responses observed after control sessions performed at the same times of day.

Sixteen pre-hypertensive men underwent four sessions (random order): two conducted in the morning (7:30am) and two in the evening (5pm). At each time of day, subjects underwent an exercise (cycling, 45 min, 50%VO2peak) and a control (sitting rest) session. Measurements were taken pre- and post-interventions in all the sessions. The net effects of exercise were calculated for each time of day by [(post-pre exercise)-(post-pre control)] and were compared by paired t-test (P<0.05). Exercise hypotensive net effects (e.g., decreasing systolic, diastolic and mean blood pressure) occurred at both times of day, but systolic blood pressure reductions were greater after morning exercise (-7±3 vs. -3±4 mmHg, P<0.05). Exercise decreased cardiac output only in the morning (-460±771 ml/min, P<0.05), while it decreased stroke volume similarly at both times of day and increased heart rate less in the morning than in the evening (+7±5 vs. +10±5 bpm, P<0.05). Only evening exercise increased sympathovagal balance (+1.5±1.6, P<0.05) and calf blood flow responses to reactive hyperemia (+120±179 vs. -70±188 U, P<0.05).

In conclusion, PEH occurs after exercise conducted at both times of day, but the systolic hypotensive effect is greater after morning exercise when circadian variations are considered. This greater effect is accompanied by a reduction of cardiac output due to a smaller increase in heart rate and cardiac sympathovagal balance.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0132458

duncan, DokaGirl and Hoopoe like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can barely walk 2 blocks in the morning, but can power walk for one hour in the evenings and sit upright after for a long period of time.

I feel an improved level of wellness after 5 p.m.

alktipping, rvallee, EndME and 5 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The time of day I typically have the most problem with balance, movement, coordination, cognition, and oxygen hunger, is just after awakening in the morning. No matter the quality of sleep immediately preceding it.

No idea why that is. But it usually improves quickly.

obeat, alktipping, Mij and 4 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If my memory is ok, this holds true for most pwME. For a minority, including me, it does not, and in fact is flipped, i.e. mornings are optimal, noon frequently marks the beginning of a precipitous decline.

Curiously, many reports I've read from channelopathy patients mirror most pwME in that mornings are worse, and even dangerous.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    alktipping, Mij and EndME like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I often feel relatively well for an hour or two in the morning, then gradually worse until about 1500, when I improve again.

I seem to feel grotty after meals.

Some days, usually after a few restful days, I feel relatively well all day.

obeat, alktipping and duncan like this.