1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Source of Post-Lyme Complications Is Revealed

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an assumption.

I think what they have demonstrated suggests Bb PG can cause an antibody response that is peculiar to Bb. I'm ok with that. But they have not demonstrated this happens naturally post-infection. There is no reason to conclude this is debris or nonviable spirochetal blebs. This can be interpreted as happening during persistent infection.

It would be little different from isolating OpsA for vaccine purposes and concluding this is the only protein that causes a problem.

They may have it right, but they may not.

This is Steere's Moby Dick. This has been the refrain for 35 years, and he's yet to nail it down - "it" being proof that Lyme arthritis always happens in the absence of infection.

To me it indicates little more than part of Bb has been shown to cause Lyme arthritis. Gee. We knew Bb was causing that already.

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes (but I did use the term suggesting...).

It's certainly possible that this is only part of the mechanism of what is causing the problem. I suppose, if these findings are confirmed, that the next step would be to try to treat the B. burgdorferi PG and see what happens with the symptoms.

I don't want to rule out the possibility that the Lyme bacterium persists in the body without us being able to 'see' it. I just don't understand why so many in the Chronic Lyme community favor that theory over other ones, like the one presented in this paper. Don't see what the difference is. I would think the logical position for advocates is to remain agnostic until more is known why patients remain ill after an acute Lyme infection.

Hutan and duncan like this.
  4. duncan

The reason the cause matters is that proper treatment is predicated on the correct cause.

You are correct, though - they may have it right. They just haven proven it yet. They know that, too.

Hutan and rvallee like this.
  5. duncan

History.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is certainly curious, the next step is to see if the results are maintained in a prospective study over time.