1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible involvement of the autonomic nervous system in cervical muscles of patients with ME/CFS, Matsui et al, 2020/1

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Nov 23, 2020.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title: Involvement of Cervical Muscle Lesions and Autonomic Nervous System in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
    (Thread title changed to the title of the published version)
    https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-100155/v1

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2021
  2. John Mac

3. John Mac

4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

based on self report forms . the fact that they where in a hospital and medical records are so reliable i would take this with a bucketful of salt .

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

What % of the general population has stiffness of cervical muscles. Very common among people who work sat in front of a computer screen.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A huge bucketful of salt needed with this study I reckon.

Fukuda criteria, no mention of PEM at all.
    Other than eye-pupil diameter measurement, no objective measurements.
    Study was retrospectively registered.

In my opinion, this study most likely tells us that 55% (the percentage of participants who 'recovered' from ME/CFS having stayed in hospital for up to 120 days and had regular cervical muscle massage) of people assessed as having ME/CFS actually didn't.

Simone, alktipping, andypants and 4 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Or staying in hospital required a lot less effort than their normal life did, so some of the people felt quite a lot better at the end of the hospital stay?

Simone, Sid, Mithriel and 6 others like this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A hot mess?

9. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is what the first 2 sentences say, under ‘background’:

occasionally affects the lives...? Oh really?
    And the list of symptoms...
    cervical stiffness... really? Which criteria do they go by?
    vertigo... would be uncommon, why name it up front, could it be you selected it because it fits what you are trying to say?
    fever of unknown etiology... not for years on end, and it would need to be described... by fever do you mean over 38.3 C and over? Or would it also be 37.5 C? Or could it also be that the patient reports feeling like a fever is coming?
    psychological disorders... well that would be quite wide. What do you think the authors have in mind? Somatization? Conversion disorder? bodily distress syndrome? Anxiety related to symptoms? Depression?

The narrative used matters a lot. In my view i am not sure that the authors understand what the disease is all about. It is also a problem that the disease is defined by a bunch of symptoms.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Simone, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread - Paper now published

Full title: Possible involvement of the autonomic nervous system in cervical muscles of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

Abstract

Background
    Patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) sometimes present with stiffness of the cervical muscles. To investigate the pathophysiology of ME/CFS, this observational study compared patients with versus without recovery from ME/CFS through local modulation of the cervical muscles.

Methods
    Over a period of 11 years, a total of 1226 inpatients with ME/CFS who did not respond to outpatient care were enrolled in this study. All patients received daily cervical muscle physical therapy during hospitalization. Self-rated records documenting the presence or absence of ME/CFS, as well as the representative eight symptoms that frequently accompany it at admission and discharge, were compared. Pupil diameter was also measured to examine autonomic nervous system function involvement.

Results
    The recovery rate of ME/CFS after local therapy was 55.5%, and did not differ significantly by sex, age strata, and hospitalization period. The recovery rates of the eight symptoms were variable (36.6–86.9%); however, those of ME/CFS in the symptom subpopulations were similar (52.3–55.8%). The recovery rates of all symptoms showed strong associations with that of ME/CFS (p < 0.001). The pupil diameter was more constricted in the ME/CFS-recovered patients than in the ME/CFS-unrecovered patients in the total population and the subpopulations stratified by sex, age, and hospitalization period.

Conclusions
    There was a strong association between the recovery of ME/CFS and other related whole-body symptoms. The recovery of ME/CFS may be partly linked to amelioration of the autonomic nervous system in the cervical muscles.

Open access, https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12891-021-04293-7

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2021
    MEMarge, sb4, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems very random and uninterpretable.