Positive Health Online: ME/CFS, NLP and the Lightning Process in the Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Kalliope, Feb 3, 2018.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm no great fan of NLP but @Nancy Blake 's interesting response to the wikipedia article about NLP is here.
    http://www.positivehealth.com/article/nlp/nlp-cult-or-cure-neither-actually

Given that she reports rather similar issues with wiki editing as we do for the ME/CFS pages I think at least reading it might be fair. (not saying you or anyone particularly should read it @Valentijn just that given how we know wiki talks BS about our own disease & we cant seem to get the facts on there, it's worth considering)

My brain is mush atm & I was harmed badly by the practise of unethical NLP pre-ME so am not keen to read it all to avoid triggering unhappy memories but the first bit of the article at least looked not unreasonable.

Invisible Woman and Barry like this.
  2. Nancy Blake

Nancy Blake Established Member

I am interested in the commentary about NLP, and sad to learn of someone harmed by misuse.

The starting point is that it is a pragmatic set of ideas/practices based on ‘what works’ rather than getting into arguments about what is theoretically ‘true’.

In that spirit, I presented, in my article, a few things that the reader could try out for himself, and I hope that the objective reader will try out what I have described and on the basis of his own experience, make up his own mind about whether the NLP ideas being mentioned ‘work’.

Doing conventional groupwork with mentally ill patients, it was heartbreaking to hear tragic histories from brave and determined suffering people, and know that it could take months or years of therapy for any hope of improvement...and the methods didn’t always work as they were supposed to.

When I first heard of NLP, on a socialwork placement in California in 1981, I was horrified by the intrusive, controlling concept of making direct changes in people ‘unconscious’.

But I got the books, read them, didn’t really understand them, but began to notice that patient progress that I expected to take two years was happening in about six weeks.

And I didn’t have to be ‘the great I Am’, dishing out interpretations from a great height...

I could just teach someone how to take that cruel, self-critical voice that was tormenting them, and move it away, make it silly, inaudible, or loving. Cutting through the first layers of depression in about 20 minutes.

But first I made sure it was depression, not hypothyroidism...or ME... that I was dealing with. If there was no story that made sense of depression, then I sent them to get diagnosed by a doctor.

And no doctor should ever tell someone that they ‘must be depressed’ just because they have physical symptoms the doctor doesn’t understand. How dare they....

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would imagine @Nancy Blake that you have to be very careful even with depression, given in many cases of clinical depressions there is likely an organic cause underlying it. But I can identify with the situation where someone's problems (or a significant component of their problems), are genuinely down to badly skewed perceptions of themself, of others, and of how they interact with others. From my experience it took vastly longer than 6 weeks, well longer than 6 years in fact. I don't know if NLP formed part of what I applied or not, just some things you said rang true ... albeit not the short timescales. And of course as you say, any claims to fix physical issues would be ludicrous.

Annamaria, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  4. Nancy Blake

Hi, me again..lol....
    Barry, if Bandler (yes, he was a very mixed bag...) met you, he would be very interested in learning from you how you had achieved the success you had in sorting out your problems...he would want to know what the processes were that worked for you, so that others could learn from that and be able to do the same things to help themselves. That’s how it all got started...they went to the most successful psychotherapists of the time and tried to figure out what they did to get the results they got...

In terms of ME/CFS, there is one fundamental NLP concept that we all need to adopt:

‘Reframing’ refers to the fact that something that happens or something we believe can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the context.

The story used to illustrate this is the Japanese peasant farmer who had a son....the son was given a horse and everyone said that was great, the farmer said ‘maybe’. Then the son fell off the horse and broke his leag and everyone said that was terrible, and the farmer said ‘maybe’. Then the army came along to conscript the young men, but they didn’t take his son, becase of the broken leg....and so on.

Exercise is good for your health, yes? One of the most powerfult themes in contemporary culture. You must ‘fight’ illness, ‘carry on regardless’, ‘not give in’. We all know that in ME none of this works, and in fact these ideas are why many of us make ourselves worse.

For ME, it is really important that we ‘reframe’ exercise as toxic, actually dangerous. The earlier in the illness we recognise that exercise will do us harm, the better our chances of ultimate improvement.

Ramsay and Acheson observed that complete rest gave the best chance of improvement or recovery. In the age of antibiotics, we think that it is the medicine that makes us better...forgetting that recovery from anything requires a well-functioning immune system, and that our immune system requires a lot of energy. But in recent years, ‘too much’ rest is now coded as dangerous. Or just being lazy, or just trying to avoid responsibility.

We need to ‘reframe’ rest as the most effective treatment we have, as yet for ME/CFS.

I believe that, while we are doing all we can to fund and support proper research for treatments, helping people with ME to reframe exertion as toxic and rest as curative, and to shape their everyday lives and behaviour around those ‘new beliefs’ is the best that any form of psychological therapy can offer.

5. Barry

Fully agree. And of course that reframing needs to also embrace those people without ME, in all areas of society, government, science, medical professions, etc.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Annamaria, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I survive by reframing virtually everything as "Meh" ;)

My shoulders killing me - Meh
    I've just broken a toe - Meh
    I can't read - Meh
    Some gits put my head in a vice - Meh
    etc.
    etc.

Simbindi, Annamaria, inox and 6 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

@Wonko I think that's called "acceptance". I substitute "Meh" with a swearword, but it's much the same thing.

Amw66, Annamaria, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  8. Barry

I sometimes find a string of swearwords more acceptable.

9. Nancy Blake

...wow, how misunderstandings can arise...I thought you were being critical, and just realised that you are supporting what i was saying....yes, we won’t be helped until everyone around us understands that our quickest route to regaining some of our health is allowing ourselves to act like invalids at the start.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

The word invalid has two meanings, depending on how you pronounce it. At the moment we are being categorised as the wrong one.

Annamaria, MEMarge, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  11. Barry

Edited my post to hopefully avoid ambiguity.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think these are useful distinctions.

Annamaria, Cheshire, Barry and 2 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Annamaria, mango, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  14. Dolphin

Hutan, Annamaria, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  15. Barry

@PhysiosforME, I think you might find this thread interesting. Particularly @Nancy Blake's article linked to in the first post of this thread.