1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Gastrointestinal symptoms

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by arewenearlythereyet, Jun 30, 2019.

?

Thinking about GI symptoms, which of the following best fits your experience?

1. My GI symptoms developed before my ME onset

2. My GI symptoms developed after my ME onset and is a regular symptom of my ME

3. My GI symptoms developed after my ME onset and only appears when I crash

4. I had GI symptoms but these improved with pacing

5. I’ve never had GI symptoms

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since I am not entirely sure about my ME diagnosis, I don't participate in these interesting ME polls anymore.

But I thought I let you know what I was wondering about in another thread:

Might motion sickness or nausea of pregnancy be comparable to some of the gastrointestinal issues pwME experience?

In my more severe phases I felt mostly like I had motion sickness. In addition to vertigo as soon as I tried to sit up, stand up or walk, I had permanent nausea and couldn't eat much and only certain foods. These phases never lasted more than several weeks, though, so my eating difficulties never became a serious problem.

Other conditions of nausea I thought might be comparable to morning sickness?

Just thought that even though it is not known what is causing nausea of pregnancy, it seems to have a function, and it appears reasonable that pregnant persons don't eat food which makes them vomit, as long as they eat enough to keep themselves and their embryos healthy.

But how would one cope with motion sickness or pregnancy related nausea/ vomiting if it lasted longer than several weeks?

(Regarding the apparently more common gastrointestinal symptoms among people with ME, I also had issues with diarrhea that developed only several years after ME onset, but are related to 'classical' food allergies / cross allergies. While I still have allergic reactions which are most of the time well controlled but always slightly perceivable in other body parts , my gut is continuosly behaving very well for a while now. I wrote about this here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/pseudoallergy-and-food-intolerances.7751/ )

Edited for clarity.

(Apologies for getting off topic - please feel free to (re)move. )

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    alktipping, MeSci and Ellie_Finesse like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Given that my gastro issues have become more prevalent for me, enough so that I changed my original vote, I thought I would bump this thread to see if it would attract any new votes.

alktipping and Trish like this.