Podcast: TPWKY — Episode 136 Long Covid: A long time coming

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by SNT Gatchaman, Apr 13, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This Podcast Will Kill You: Season 7, Episode 1

Audio (1h 30m) | Transcript | About

oldtimer, ahimsa, SallyC and 13 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing. I am listening to it now and it's really good so far with several allusions to ME/CFS. Looking much forward to next episode.

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The episode on ME/CFS is out now.

Presentation:

ME/CFS: What's in a name? (A lot, actually)

In many ways, this week’s episode on myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a companion piece to last week’s episode on Long Covid.

The two share many similarities: a wide range of debilitating symptoms lingering long after infection, an illness which can transform from day to day or week to week, dismissal and downplaying by the medical community, a big question mark under “pathophysiological cause”, and so many others.

These parallels can tell us a great deal about our concepts of disease and how we deal with uncertainty in science and medicine.

But the differences between these two can be equally revealing.

In this episode, we dig into what we know and what we hypothesize about the biological underpinnings of ME/CFS before tracing the twisty history of this disease, as popular perception switched back and forth and back again from “real” to “imagined” disease.

We wrap up the episode with a look at some of the current research and promising treatments for ME/CFS.

Both ME/CFS and Long Covid demonstrate the power of patients and patient advocates in raising awareness about poorly understood diseases and the impact that sharing personal stories can have.

You can find more incredible work by Katie Walters, the provider of one of our firsthands for this episode, by clicking on this link.

https://thispodcastwillkillyou.com/2024/04/16/episode-137-me-cfs-whats-in-a-name-a-lot-actually/

They make a cocktail for each episode, the cocktail for the ME/CFS-episode is named "The understatement".

4. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am a really big fan of this podcast but I went into the Long COVID episode with some trepidation, however the Erin's did a great job. I listened to the M.E. one this morning and it was really well done, from the perspective of people who are totally new to the subject. I suspect their listeners lean towards medical backgrounds because the podcast is highly detailed in that respect so it may reach some interesting people who've not considered the subject before.

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I thought they covered the history of ME/CFS particularly well. They probably didn't quite get PEM right, with some emphasis on pathological fatigue (which they correctly point out is utterly unlike healthy fatigue, and not tiredness). However, we ourselves have a long thread on trying to define and measure PEM and tease apart PEM from rapid muscle fatiguability etc.

Transcript

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SallyC, Solstice, Wonko and 1 other person like this.