1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Podcast: "It's Not All About ME"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Know nothing more than there is a series of podcasts and Paddy, the host, has ME, have just started listening to episode one and Paddy comes across very well. There doesn't seem to be any hint what each episode is about so pot luck I guess.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-23503120

ETA: The podcast is on Twitter, https://twitter.com/0allaboutme

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Simone, Sean, oldtimer and 14 others like this.
  2. Itsnotallaboutmepodcast

Itsnotallaboutmepodcast Established Member

Hey Andy
    Thanks for posting this. I am grateful for the invite to the forum too. I have just introduced myself in the new members section. I look forward to getting to know everyone.
    Paddy.

JoanNI, MeSci, merylg and 18 others like this.
  3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Andy and @Itsnotallaboutmepodcast

I’m listening now via the link, but is there a way to access other podcasts? I can’t download new apps to my phone as i can’t sign in to apple and don’t have soundcloud or twitter.

Tried typing ‘its not all about me’ on the soundcloud page that the link takes to but nothing came up :thumbsdown:

Edit to add: scrap that the other episodes have just appeared underneath sounds good!

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

oldtimer, MEMarge, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Latest episode,

Hutan, oldtimer, andypants and 4 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

oldtimer, Amw66, andypants and 2 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

oldtimer, MEMarge, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

andypants likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This weeks episode features @JohnTheJack

https://twitter.com/user/status/1112636781034434560

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just listened. Thank you so much @JohnTheJack. That was a very moving and interesting interview. Thank you for being so open about your own experiences.

I particularly liked the eloquent way you expressed the importance of not feeling guilty about not being able to do stuff or recover and have to live such restricted lives. That the guilt lies with the psychiatrists and their unswerving belief that their model is right to the extent that they are willing to twist their research to make it fit their beliefs, and accuse us of being unscientific in our criticisms. And the others (doctors and family/friends) who are guilty are those who unquestioningly believe the psychs, not us, denying our reality - the pain for us of family and friends believing what they read, not the person they know. You expressed it much more eloquently than I have.

11. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This, a million times. Thank you for expressing it so well in such a moving interview, @JohnTheJack .

12. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Trish. You express it just as well. I think it's something we all know.

13. JohnTheJack

Thanks, Ezzie.

Annamaria, Hutan, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would recommend every ME/CFS patient to listen to this podcast. It's very valuable to hear someone who has lived with this illness for so long share his experiences.

There's one very moving passage in the middle of the podcast about not feeling guilty. I don't have the energy to make a full transcript but I would like to share this passage, hoping that more people will read or hear about it, as it may be helpful to them.

From minute 28.30:

Patty: “[...] Not only do [ME/CFS patients] have to deal with this illness, but there is such guilt associated with it that every day one isn’t back to your old self, [it seems] that one is failing, you know…”

John Peters: “I don’t Patty. I’ve never, ever, ever felt guilty. I never felt that. The problem has been that others have looked at me differently. And I never felt that I needed to apologize to anyone, I never felt that I felt guilty at all. And I feel very strongly about that. Even though I’ve been ill for […] 33 years now, I can look myself in the mirror and I know that I have done everything to get better at every possible moment. That I lived every day, every minute of every day, at the maximum of my capabilities.

“And because of that, I don’t feel guilty. And I don’t feel guilty at all and I never have. I don’t feel guilty for the way I behave. I don’t feel guilty for anything at all because I have a terrible, awful illness. The people who should feel guilty in my eyes are first the people who promoted this perverse, terrible model based on no evidence whatsoever and two; the people who had been bought into it and haven’t trust me.

“Cause I’ve had friends right from the beginning who’s said: ‘I know John and I know that if he’s like that he’s got to be very ill’. But I also know people quite close to me, who looked at me and said: ‘why are you being so precious, at least you can make an effort’.

“I don’t feel guilty that I cut those people out of my life. I feel very strongly about this and as you can probably hear from my voice I’m quite emotional about it because there are people very close to me that I don’t speak to. And I don’t feel guilty about that. They are the ones that are guilty, not me.

“I have a terrible illness that has destroyed my life and has taken everything from me. I have had no job, I have had no career, [...] I have no family, I’m alone and I have no prospect really now, I think at my age, of ever having a family. It’s a terrible, terrible thing to have a life unlived.

“And those people who haven’t supported me right from the beginning and said: ‘I know you, I’m on your side’ or whatever, they are the ones who have to feel guilty. And the people who have given the ammunition, the psychiatrists and psychologists who have promoted this false model, they’re the guilty ones, I’m not. “​

15. ME/CFS Skeptic

There's one other passage in the podcast that deserves to be repeated because I think it eloquently explains why the problem goes far beyond GET/CBT and lies within the fear-avoidance model itself. Patients do not necessarily have to follow GET/CBT or even have contact with a doctor who believes and promotes his model. Simply to have this model accepted by the medical community, is enough to harm patients. Friends and family will look up info on the internet and will look at patients differently.

Starts at minute 26.30:

John Peters: “One of the worst things is that it’s making the patient an unreliable witness to their own body. That’s a terrible thing. It means that their friends, their family, the people that would normally support them, their doctors, look at them differently. And that is impossible to escape. It’s going to do that.

"If you’re told that your, in my case, 30 year old son who slumping morosely around the house, not saying hello to anybody, just sitting there before the TV, sleeping or staying in bed all morning, getting out to watch TV and then going back to bed, not taking part in family life at all etc.

"And if you’re then told why that this person is behaving that way and that he has the ability within him to get better, to change the way he thinks and increase its activity levels and so recover. If you’re told that by the medical profession, you’re going to look at him differently. It’s unavoidable.

"So it’s creating a barrier between the patient and the people the patient would normally look to for support. I think that is one of the most horrible things. And as I say, it’s making them unreliable witnesses, so that everybody’s opinion is better than that of the patients. The patients do not know what’s best for them, so you can come along and tell them. And I think that’s terrible. It’s really deeply painful. I think that’s a horrible thing to do."​

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    MeSci, brf, Annamaria and 23 others like this.
  16. JohnTheJack

Thanks, Michiel.

And thank you for going to the trouble of transcribing some passages.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this onversation with John is a very rich source of material, as others have noted.

The simple statement that the promotion of CBT and GET and the behavioural model is based on no evidence is so important.

The description of being unable to process input makes a huge amount of sense to me in mechanistic terms. It is as if the feed-process-clear function in the central nervous system is corrupted. Like not being able to delete dealt with emails.

That could have a very precise signal basis amenable to treatment if the signal was known.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It's Paddy :)

Sly Saint, Chezboo, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  19. ME/CFS Skeptic

20. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much @Itsnotallaboutmepodcast for these podcasts and @JohnTheJack for this latest interview. I was in the process of transcribing exactly the same excerpts that @Michiel Tack posted above, but he beat me to it! Those bits of the interview really resonated with me too. You really got to the heart of the issues John, and as others have said, you expressed it so well. I hope a lot of people will listen to the interview and learn from it.