1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Podcast: CBT for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Dr Lucy Maddox, Trudie Chalder

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 20, 2019.

1. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Attended a satellite clinic to one of the main English clinics in 2014.

I was totally confused, even then. How am I supposed to not ‘boom and bust’ when you have told me to increase my dog walk every 14 days (and that took no account of whatever else was going on in the household).

I did my own thing, luckily. Still hasn’t cured M.E. though.

Anna H, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think TC et al have ever really grappled with dealing with anyone but the least severely ill (who are still very ill and deserve better than TC). I don't think they really know anything about the severely ill from any experience as health care providers/researchers.

One of the things that took me a long time to realise was that whenever I had a lifting of the heavy fog of ME and felt better it should never have been equated as being more well.

I still get the occasional few hours (rarely) when the fog lifts to a light mist. Now I know to call it what it is. A window of less suffering and remission of symptoms that is in no way related to my body somehow repairing itself and an indication that I am healing.

I still use those moments to do more. I can't help myself. I do pace in those rare moments too. When the window closes I don't think it's necessarily due to PEM since I otherwise feel unwell all the time.

Over the years the BPS cabal have in fact listened to the ME community enough to hone their propaganda pitch to sound more credible. We all know how wrong they are to promote their crap. I can't help but think after all this time seeing this sort of nonsense that the problem exists (and therefore needs at least in part) to be addressed in a larger context than the cabal themselves.

They carry on unimpeded (mostly) and in plain sight because they are well protected.

While I don't think much of most psych research my mind starts playing with the idea of a research project to understand how some people can so easily throw other human beings under the bus (metaphorically).
    It's not a serious consideration. There is no easy answer to this any more than the easy answer of a little CBT for ME.

Michelle, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 7 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the PACE team pulled off dropping all objective measurements for the treatment arm built on an assumption of deconditioning based on the written statement that in their opinion the participants were reasonably active and so there was no need to measure their activity. Both deconditioned and reasonably active. Both sick enough to enter the trial and well enough to be considered recovered at the end.

When you pull off something like that, including through multiple peer and ethical reviews, you kind of lose any concerns about being self-consistent and just don't bother anymore. At this point just go all in on the BS, it clearly makes no difference since we have been exempted from all normal ethical and scientific protections.

The porridge isn't too hot or too cold, it's both, but it's not just right either. Not surprising that in practicing medicine without any concerns for the patients they end up doing "science" without any concerns for, well, science. Hubris is always the fall. Unfortunately meanwhile it's millions of lives being destroyed to preserve that little kingdom of mediocrity.

MEMarge, inox, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Back in 2016
    Local group ends its 11-year relationship with CFS unit at King’s College Hospital | 5 July 2016
    https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...s-unit-at-kings-college-hospital-5-july-2016/

This is the bottom line and the charities and other ME patient groups need to understand it.

But it seems that these so-called 'experts' still get to say whatever they like whether they have the support of patient groups or not.

eta: see my post here https://www.s4me.info/threads/dialo...os-released-sept-2019.6186/page-4#post-205561
    and here
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/dialo...os-released-sept-2019.6186/page-4#post-205668

if the video on the NHS site was TC (an 'expert') saying what she is saying on this podcast and in other talks (see https://www.s4me.info/threads/13-ma...journey-over-30-years.5576/page-3#post-152193)

then there would be an uproar and I imagine a lot of ME/CFS patients would not wish to go for 'treatment' of CBT and GET at the various clinics.

It would be there for all to see/hear.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    MEMarge, inox, ladycatlover and 9 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

KCL PSYCHOLOGY STAFF ELIGIBLE TO SUPERVISE (as at November 2019)
    https://www.kcl.ac.uk/psychology-sy...isors-psychology-department-november-2019.pdf

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  6. Sly Saint

7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish and Anna H like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone read Chalder's book? How bad is it?

9. Sly Saint

can't find a preview and it costs £11.80
    This is the write up on Amazon
    no reviews yet.

they seem to re-publish every few years.

This year there is a 'second-edition'(?) for a mere £3.99(e-book) but it only has Mary Burgess as author
    https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab..._2nd_Edition.html?id=T2dBDwAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y

you can view some of the content on that link
    (looks like the standard bPS 'vicious cycle' chronic fatigue stuff)
    eta: but again as usual it mixes use of CFS and chronic fatigue

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Anna H, Trish and MEMarge like this.
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do remember flicking through it a couple of years ago and it being as dreadful as expected. I had bought it in the early days at huge discount in "Naff Books are Us " or similar, I probably still have it somewhere..

(Not saying that I am anti discount bookstores)

Trish likes this.
  11. Sly Saint

Found this site Psychwire;
    apparently you can ask questions
    "You need to be signed up as a mental health professional to ask a question

Ask Trudie Chalder about CBT for chronic fatigue
    How can CBT assist with the psychosocial and behavioural aspects of long-term health conditions such as chronic fatigue? ASK Professor Trudie Chalder now."

https://psychwire.com/ask/profiles/bx7x60/trudie-chalder

https://psychwire.com/ask/topics/wojsw8/ask-trudie-chalder-about-cbt-for-chronic-fatigue

@Joan Crawford @Brian Hughes @Carolyn Wilshire

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
    MEMarge, Trish, Amw66 and 5 others like this.