1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me find new bedding in the UK

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Hummingbird, Dec 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Blueskytoo

Blueskytoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I buy John Lewis bedding be use of exactly this reason - I need the softness and smoothness too. I've got both their 200 and this one, the soft and silky range, which I find lives up to its description, although it's not cheap. But they do have a sale on at the moment, so there's that. I've not yet found anything hat helps with the temperature control, sadly, but at least that bedding doesn't irritate my skin and leave me uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it's a sateen or not but it's close enough.

The softest bedding I've got is a BluebellGray one that I originally bought from Next but have since bought second hand from eBay just bevause it's so soft and smooth on my skin, so that's a route that's worth exploring if you've already got a set you like and it's not manufactured any more. I always had e to wash eBay stuff several times to get rid of the Very strong laundry detergent smell though, which makes me feel sick and I can smell even through plastic packaging.

Also, Kitty's friend mentioned about detergent - I now use these laundry strips which have very little smell and I don't use fabric softener at all. We do now love in a softer water area, but beige we moved to Scotland we loved in Cambridge which has really hard water and I used to use white vinegar as a softener which works great and doesn't make your clothes smell like a chip shop, I promise! I used to put in about a US cup full per wash as it was a handy measuring thing I had to hand and that seemed to be about right for my washing, but you might need to experimemt to find the right amount for your water, it saved me a fortune in detergents and is much better for both the environment and my clothes,

Another option for bedding is to look for high quality hotel bedding suppliers as they will often have decent stuff although it's usually white. A satin stripe is good.

Hope this is helpful, best of luck.

Edited because I can't spell at 6am, apparently.

2. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Established Member

Thank you very much for all the informative replies.

I ordered a pair of the Paoletti pillowcases to see what the set is like. They were very different to what I was expecting. I thought they would be crisp and stiff like the Cath Kidston set.

It was a thicker fabric and half soft, half rough, quite weird!! It also had the strongest smell I've ever had from any bedding. I think I can manage the print, but it smelt so bad that I was more interested in getting it out of my room than looking at the pattern!

They are now soaking in a washing up bowl of water with half a cup of bicarbonate of soda and 100ml vinegar. They will then be washed several times with soap nuts and more bicarb and vinegar before I try one.

I'm very grateful to have someone to do this for me; I know many meeps don't.

It's interesting that the M&S comfortably cool get a couple of mentions by @JemPD and @NelliePledge . I had seen them a couple of months ago, but they didn't have any dark colours then. I thought it was one to keep an eye on, as they had good reviews.

I've just been a little wary that the M&S products with trade marks/technology such as comfortably cool, stay new etc., as they probably have an extra dose of chemicals. Does anyone know what they might be? And if they are likely to be OK for someone who has a lot of difficulty with smells?

I hope to reply to the rest another time. Thank you all.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Ash, Kitty, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am very sensitive to smells too, and have bought and used those sheets without een washing first, on more than one occasion if i remember correctly. So witha good long wash i think they would be fine, for sure they have no ongoing smell like other things have done in my experience. And i can smell things everyone else says they cannot smell, at all, so i'd feel reasonably confident.

I should mention i havent purchased them since last year though so cant guarantee they havent changed something.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I decided to splurge on a set of flax linen sheets and I can't say that they kept me cooler than sateen cotton, in fact I prefer bamboo cotton.

5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm incredibly sensitive to anything not soft enough and it has to be cotton (temperature). This is to the point that I've had sheets in the past that even when they were ironed would leave my legs red from them moving over them during the night.

I used to buy the highest count House of Fraser sold many years ago but the last time maybe 7yrs ago I found even those had got rougher. A big search landed me at Tielle: https://tielleloveluxury.co.uk/?gcl...iLCaFyN1Pk9E1-SiyB_XwmICR3owB8X4aAgvZEALw_wcB

I buy the 400 'soft and strong' (the 600 used to be called something different and sounded like it wasn't as soft, plus it was significantly more expensive don't be fooled by the thread count number vs the 1,000 count you get in other shops - it is softer than ones that say way higher thread counts elsewhere as I was buying and comparing, and I realised there are a few 'tricks' as to what counts as what on that front) and it is more than soft enough. They tend to come large (e.g. the sheets are big enough to go over a topper or a v deep mattress), seem quite thin (in a nice way) but can be washed at 60 without shrinking like others I've had in the past have done. My sheets still look brand new and first one was bought in 2017 (and as you can imagine I spend a lot of time at least sat in bed).

The issue is: they mainly only do white, if you want choice on the colour front they've only got non-white in the whole set inc sheets etc at 400 there are some options, duck egg blue and grey. Having said that I can imagine given they are all white and the fabrics that then dying it to whichever colour if you find what you want would work well?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022