1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pioglitazone improves skeletal muscle functions in reserpine-induced fibromyalgia rat model, 2021, Hassan et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background

Fibromyalgia (FM) is characterized by musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, sleep and memory disturbance. There is no definitive cure yet for FM-related health problems. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor’s (PPAR’s) activation is associated with insulin sensitisation and improved glucose metabolism. PPAR-γ was reported to alleviate FM allodynia. Limited data are discussing its effect on motor disorders.

Objective
    To investigate the potential effect of PPAR-γ agonists (pioglitazone, as one member of thiazolidinediones (TZD)) on motor dysfunction in reserpine-induced FM in a rat model.

Materials and methods
    Thirty-six male Wistar rats were divided into negative control (n = 9) and reserpine-induced FM (n = 27) groups. The latter was subdivided into three equal subgroups (n = 9), positive control (untreated FM model), pioglitazone-treated and GW9662-treated. We evaluated muscle functions and activity of chloramphenicol acetyltransferase, superoxide dismutase, malondialdehyde, and serum levels of interleukin-8 and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1.

Results
    Pioglitazone significantly relieved fatigue, improved muscle performance, reduced inflammatory cytokines and enhanced antioxidant’s activity, while GW9662, a known PPAR-γ antagonist, aggravated the FM manifestations in the rat model.

Conclusion
    PPAR-γ agonists show a promising role against FM-associated motor dysfunctions.

Open access, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07853890.2021.1916069

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Should they not spend the time finding out what Fibromyalgia is, instead of treating rats based on hypophezised disease mechanisms?

Just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and alktipping like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mmm...

I think I prefer the dead parrot sketch.

shak8, FMMM1, Marky and 3 others like this.