1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Physios for ME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by PhysiosforME, May 16, 2020.

1. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great feedback - thank you

2. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yet this is taught as if there is actual evidence for it. The relevant part of the IAPT therapist curriculum for CFS/ME states the following:

https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/CBT LTC MUS curriculum.pdf

The 'theoretical understanding' underlying the general MUS model that IAPT therapist are expected to 'gain competence in' start at page 14 of the above document:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    MEMarge, Anna H, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope all this info is being stored - very useful for any future litigation

MEMarge, Anna H, JaneL and 8 others like this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm glad it's helpful.

MEMarge, NelliePledge, Barry and 2 others like this.
  5. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@PhysiosforME Do you know if CSP has any information on PEM in its policy document on Covid19 rehabilitation? I've no energy to read the whole thing.

JaneL, Kitty and MEMarge like this.
  6. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just read through the website for @PhysiosforME , still got quite a bit to get through but wanted to say how wonderful it is, it’s making me cry (happy tears) to read it! (My excuse is I’m a bit emotional at the moment!).

to go on your physios page and to see:

pacing
    We recommend Symptom Contingent pacing:
    pacing within energy limits

We do not recommend Quota Contingent pacing (gradual increases in activity)

Read More >

heart rate monitoring
    Use of a Heart Rate Monitor to keep within threshold and avoid triggering Post Exertional Malaise

Read More >

what about exercise?
    We do not recommend Graded Exercise Therapy

Read More >
    Watch >

what else can i do?
    ME is a complex
    multi-system disease.

Physiotherapy will not "treat" the underlying disease mechanisms.

Physiotherapy techniques can help alleviate symptoms and improve quality of life.

Goals should be around management, not treatment“

I cannot describe in words How happy I am to see this, after my past experiences with physio therapy. I’ve been reflecting today on all the professionals I’ve seen, how desperate I’ve been to get better, how they kept telling me to increase (either quickly or slowly), always quota based, the aim was *always* to set goals and improve function. And in the back of my mind that thinking is always there, and I very often end up doing it because I always have this feeling that if I just, just, pushed myself a tiny bit, I would be able to do it - I would get better. But it doesn’t work that way.

We really need a team like you, PhysiosforME! How glad I am that you are here!

RuthT, sebaaa, ladycatlover and 24 others like this.
  7. PhysiosforME

Thank you so much - lovely to read

ladycatlover, EzzieD, Kitty and 10 others like this.
  8. PhysiosforME

Sadly no - but we are working behind the scenes on that! We just did a webinar for over 200 members of the CSP which will hopefully go live really soon as well.

ladycatlover, Joh, EzzieD and 19 others like this.
  9. PhysiosforME

It wasn't a deliberate intention to imply that although our preference is towards using ICC over other criteria as it seems to be one of the more robust out there - as ever, happy to learn more about any issues/problems with using it and/or any other alternatives so please do let us know any feedback.

sebaaa, ladycatlover, Barry and 6 others like this.
  10. PhysiosforME

It's hard to believe that we've only been running for one year, but yesterday saw the anniversary of our first ever meeting as an official group.

To celebrate our birthday we thought we'd recap on what we've achieved in the last 12 months
    See our blog post as there's quite a long list! https://www.physiosforme.com/post/celebrating-our-12-month-anniversary

Thank you for all your help and support in the last year - it is very much appreciated

Frankie, sebaaa, Binkie4 and 38 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

An amazing achievement in just one year. Thank you all so much.

Frankie, sebaaa, Binkie4 and 21 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks for the response.

Criteria is a thorny issue for some in the patient community. Some patients support particular criteria and can get quite passionate about it - sometimes too much so, in my opinion. Some of that discussion can be seen in this thread, which is probably worth a read, MEAction: "DEMYSTIFYING THE DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR ME AND RELATED DISEASE"

As part of that thread, a survey that MEAction conducted that received 22 responses from researchers and clinicians is linked to, which concludes
    Direct link to that, https://www.meaction.net/2019/11/21/diagnostic-criteria-researchers-and-clinicians-survey-results/

13. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:party::party: Happy birthday! So much achieved in just one year. I'm always so impressed by your approach. Thanks for all you do!

sebaaa, Anna H, Kitty and 16 others like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Your group really is amazing @PhysiosforME, in the best every way. Huge thanks, huge congratulations, and keep up the tremendous work. You really are making a very positive difference for pwME I'm sure.

sebaaa, Anna H, Kitty and 15 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And mine. Until we have good means to test those differences we are flying half-blind.

The only differences so far that seem important are how broad the definition is (e.g. Oxford v. CCC), and whether PEM is included (and even that is probably not well defined enough yet, but I think that comparisons of criteria with and without that requirement will give us valuable clues, whatever they may be).

16. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know you're really busy.@ Ptsafetylearning is working on information for LongCovid, can you have any input?
    @PhysiosforME

17. PhysiosforME

If you ask them to contact us via our email physiotherapyforME@gmail.com we will see what we can do

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Andy and 3 others like this.
  18. PhysiosforME

We've just done another webinar for physios - this time for physios in neurology. Pretty much every time we are getting really positive feedback so fingers crossed we are slowly getting the message out there. Not sure if you have seen but a group of OTs has set up a similar group "OTs for ME" and I think there is a "nurses for ME" group as well. We also know of some doctors discussing setting up Doctors for ME! It seems people like our approach!

Kirsten, TiredSam, Skycloud and 24 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @PhysiosforME for being role model for your colleagues in other professions :thumbup:

20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely! If there is ever a Paramedics for ME, or Ambulance Crews for ME, then I'll feel like things are really rocking.