1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Activity, Long-COVID, and Inactivity: A Detrimental Endless Loop, 2024, Lippi et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Mar 12, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physical Activity, Long-COVID, and Inactivity: A Detrimental Endless Loop
    Giuseppe Lippi; Camilla Mattiuzzi; Fabian Sanchis-Gomar

The risk of developing medium- and long-term sequelae after recovery from COVID-19 is validated. Long-COVID burden represents a major health care issue, thus paving the way to effective prevention and/or treatment measures. Physical activity prevents many human pathologies, including COVID-19. Being physically active before and immediately after a severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection substantially lowers the risk of developing long-COVID.

In addition, long-COVID is an important cause of physical inactivity. Physically inactive individuals are at increased risk of developing long-COVID, while patients with long-COVID are more likely to reduce their physical activity levels after recovering from the acute infection, with the risk of generating a continuous loop. This harmful interaction needs to be recognized by public health institutions, and the adoption of physical activity as a routine clinical practice in all individuals after a severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection needs to be proactively promoted.

Link | PDF (Journal of Physical Activity and Health) [Open Access]

Hutan, RedFox and Sam Carter like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hard to know where to start with this one - maybe better not to. I think their one and only figure summarises the knowledge level and sophistication in their thinking. The senior author's affiliation is Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 10.54.44 AM copy Medium.jpeg

3. Eleanor

Eleanor Established Member (Voting Rights)

Infantile.

4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been pretty tired at times, but my tongue has never hung down to the floor like that.

Missense, Evergreen, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that picture gets my vote for the S4ME 'most inane illustration of the year' award.

Seriously? This is from a cardiovascular medicine expert from Stanford? What, is this some new germ theory where it's possible to outrun the virus? Or confuse it, by constantly zigzagging? Let's forget masks and air filtration systems, and just get everyone jogging.
    Ebola, the flu? No problem, star jumps can prevent those.

I think they may have got their cause and effect muddled up there too. The people who aren't physically active are quite often old and frail or otherwise incapacitated, perhaps making them more at risk of a symptomatic Covid-19 infection.

The Theory of deconditioning as the cause of Long Covid and related diseases: A detrimental endless loop.
    It doesn't matter how much evidence there is that plenty of fit healthy active people get Long Covid and ME/CFS, still that theory just keeps on being recycled.

6. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid Graph.png

Summary graph illustrating the vicious cycle linking research funding from vested interests, poor science, and limited accountability

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like an article in the Journal of Bananas saying bananas are good.

Grigor, bobbler, Missense and 9 others like this.
  8. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or is it Bananas exist -> Bananas are good -> Bananas exist?

oldtimer, RedFox and Eleanor like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The journal seems to be a marketing vehicle for sports and fitness related products and companies masquerading as a scientific journal with all the trappings of peer review etc.

I assumed the cartoon that calls itself a 'graph' was a spoof.

oldtimer, bobbler, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I know. After seeing Eddie's much more accomplished effort, I suddenly became concerned that I had misunderstood SNT's post, and that he had also made a picture up for our entertainment. So I actually had to click through to the paper to see. And there it was in all its awfulness. And even then I thought, this is not credible, and googled the authors to check that they weren't some AI invention. (Sadly they are not.)

I cannot begin to fathom the minds of people who would choose that image of the man with his tongue on the floor while wanting their message to be taken seriously.

ukxmrv, Eddie, oldtimer and 11 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Perhaps the authors would support Peel Banana -> eat Banana -> stick Banana peel back together -> Banana can now be peeled and eaten again

oldtimer, Hutan, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It's bananas all the way down, folks.

oldtimer, Hutan, Missense and 2 others like this.
  13. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assumed the figure was a joke.

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just incredible. If you actually listen to long haulers, they overwhelmingly report that it's physical activity that made them deteriorate. It's genuinely hard to be this wrong. Most people will never be half as wrong about anything in their entire life. All these bad clinicians are showing is that they don't listen to patients and don't pay attention to details. All they have is their bag of tricks and their complete inability to take into account that issues that come after cannot be the cause of the issues.

This really all explains so much about why medicine is so slow to progress. In many technologically driven fields, you see generational leaps happening every few years. In medicine it takes an entire generation to make a small leap, and sometimes they skip several generations. There is something very wrong with how they do things over there.

Sean, oldtimer, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  15. rvallee

Sometimes you just have to despair at how incompetent these people are. And childish, this cartoon is completely unprofessional and dumber than a bag of rocks.

oldtimer, Hutan and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  16. rvallee

You win the Internet for today

oldtimer, Hutan and SNT Gatchaman like this.