1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phys.org. Researchers find mitochondria to nucleus messenger protein

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Indigophoton, Trish, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this research is credible, then it sounds like it could be something well worth investigating further regarding ME.

Hutan and Daisymay like this.
  3. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting. From my level of ignorance, this looks interesting!

I hope it is something which would be feasible to investigate in ME to see if it is of relevance, or not.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-mitochondria-to-nucleus-messenger-protein.html

"Mitochondria are special organelles that contain their own DNA. However, the information they store is not sufficient to sustain their own activity or biogenesis. Instead most of the genetic information for mitochondrial proteins is stored in the nuclear DNA. Thus, when the mitochondria are under stress they need to communicate with the nucleus so that it can respond appropriately to help restore their activity or increase in number."

When I had testing done a good many years ago now via Biolab/Myhill on mitos and function I only had 60% of the normal number of mitos.

Indigophoton, Andy and Barry like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Interesting @Daisymay. I was just about to ask if there's been any research that has found lower numbers of mitochondria in the cells of people with ME. I vaguely recall there was some research although I can't remember what was found.

Daisymay likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Link to the actual paper, paywalled, is http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/fulltext/S1097-2765(18)30096-0

Barry likes this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The researchers conducted their study in cell cultures and experimental models that had been genetically modified to lose the expression of GPS2."

Just want to point out that the 'experimental models' are mice, which bear little resemblance to humans, especially if they have been genetically modified.

My own studies have shown that such experiments bear little promise for humans.

Trish, ladycatlover and Barry like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah ... :(

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @MeSci just shows how easy it is for non scientist like me to get hooked in by a title:whistle:

MeSci likes this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not necessarily saying that there is nothing to be said for cell cultures, just that using the wrong species gives the right answer so rarely that it's really not worth doing. It just means a huge amount of suffering. The animals are almost always killed, and large numbers are used in producing the 'right' genotypes.

NelliePledge likes this.