1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Philadelphia Inquirer: "Anthony Fauci and unlocking the biggest mystery in medicine" by Michael J. Stephen MD

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It will need more than that. There are some who have behaved so atrociously and disreputably, and are clearly hell bent on continuing to do so, that they have forfeited their credibility and authority and must be removed from the entire game.

It is more than just for moral accountability alone, though that is certainly sufficient reason. It is now indisputable that they are doing everything they can to continue hijacking and perverting any progress on this issue.

Their continued active presence is both a major impediment to progress, and an utter fucking disgrace to the entire profession.
    Exactly. We have no room left to compromise, and no reason whatsoever to do so. We will gain nothing by it.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I sure as shit didn't come this far just to accept this crap at the last minute.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    Kitty, EzzieD, JemPD and 11 others like this.
  2. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The caption under the picture in the article that this thread is about
    Anthony Fauci and unlocking the biggest mystery in medicine
    https://www.inquirer.com/health/expert-opinions/expert-opinion-long-covid-20240106.html says:

Here is the link to the PBS documentary:
    https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/anthony-fauci-documentary/23072/
    Streaming until: 1/31/2024 @ 11:59 PM EST

This was filmed over 23 months beginning in January 2021.

I haven't watched it. I did some very quick skimming to see if I could find a segment I wanted to watch but I couldn't find anything so I don't know if Fauci mentions ME/CFS or even Long Covid for that matter.

3. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I copied this the best I could from the closed captioning on the screenshots I took. https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/anthony-fauci-documentary/23072/
    Fauci’s wife:

Kitty, Ariel, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Thread on X I don't know the context that has prompted this

Todd Davenport:
    Funny how it took (1) an ongoing uncontrolled pandemic of a new virus creating innumerable new cases of ME/CFS or ME/CFS-like complex chronic disease and (2) leaving government for all these government types to finally take ME/CFS seriously.

And by funny, I mean deeply unfunny.

If you’re out of the game and talking about something you might have been in position to do something about years ago as something we should have done years ago without explaining why that didn’t happen years ago, I guess I have some questions about why you’re bringing it up now.

It all feels less like refreshing new candor and more like icky reputation laundering. Maybe that’s just a reflection of my general attitude of being uneasily impressed. But I don’t think so.

If you tell me it’s healing to hear from former government officials that mistakes were made and they should’ve done better, I won’t begrudge you of that. But without actual accountability will come no change in action, and I think that should be the goal.

Watch what they do.

ETA last line

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2024
    Michelle, Kitty, anniekim and 11 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also in the same vein of "former officials who speak out now that they're out of official positions" is former White House COVID response coordinator Deborah Birx. Here she is in an interview with Chris Cuomo, and saying many right things, including that if ME/CFS hadn't been ignored, there would be answers to Long Covid.

But always it's from people who are retired from a position in which they were uniquely capable of doing something about it. There is something deeply broken about the culture of the medical profession that makes it impossible to work on some problems because there is too much hostility to them, even when the people in charge know better.

I would really love if someone could ask that question to Fauci: why is it that he couldn't do it as director of the NIH institute best-placed to do this? What resistance was he facing against it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYt4thaaow

Michelle, RedFox, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That is the question that needs answering.

RedFox, bobbler, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  7. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Were Fauci’s comments in an article I read in December some kind of admission:

“Fauci said, however, that he and other infectious disease physician-scientists were soon swooped up into the still-ongoing global emergency of HIV/ AIDS, leaving relatively less time and resources to devote to chronic, debilitating but non-fatal conditions.”

Most of us with ME don’t die or not for ages - and can be a living death of course - so they prioritised AIDS? So they didn’t want to spend any more money? Hilary Johnson claims Fauci back in 90s (I think) told Congress ME was nothing to worry about.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ut-long-covid-and-other-postviral-illnesses1/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    Michelle, EzzieD, Solstice and 4 others like this.