1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Philadelphia Inquirer: "Anthony Fauci and unlocking the biggest mystery in medicine" by Michael J. Stephen MD

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

packhorse5, EzzieD, Sean and 13 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just adding a quote from the article:

Former chief medical advisor to the president, Anthony Fauci is one doctor who sees the opportunity here. I spoke with him, and in his precise, careful fashion, he laid out a road map for how to approach ME/CFS.

First, stick with only post-COVID patients; do not dilute your sample with other post-viral conditions.

Second, make sure you have a very strict and agreed-upon definition of what long COVID constitutes: symptoms must be there for at least six months, and a level of significant disability must be documented.

Once you have your population, then cast a wide net into possible avenues of dysregulation

3. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fauci was singing a very different tune during the Incline Village era of ME/CFS.

Spartacus, EzzieD, John Mac and 20 others like this.
  4. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many decades ago was that now?

I don't have the same opinions on every subject from that long ago time that I have now.

I have learned. And changed. And I hope I might be forgiven for any faulty ideas I might have held way back when.

I for one am glad that Fauci speaks out today, and has for some time, about the perils of our illness.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Dakota15, B_V, packhorse5 and 22 others like this.
  5. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's disappointing that he only advocates for us after he retires. Maybe he's no longer pressured by his colleagues or has more time to ponder things.

obeat, geminiqry, Starlight and 22 others like this.
  6. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, me too. But when someone in such a position of influence changes their mind about something which affects so many people so profoundly, I think we are entitled to ask them to admit that they were wrong and to apologise. I would be happy to accept a sincere apology from anyone who understands what they have got wrong and how their misunderstanding has affected people’s lives.

Michelle, sebaaa, Spartacus and 19 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Second, make sure you have a very strict and agreed-upon definition of what long COVID constitutes:

I am far more concerned about overall methodological quality.

I don't think we are at the point where definitions can be improved much more, at this time. The way to better definitions is more evidence produced by good methodology. It will sort out the definition, including any subgroups, better than any further debate about the definition, based on the current, often poor quality, evidence.

obeat, alex3619, rvallee and 13 others like this.
  8. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He can apologize every day and twice on Sunday and I wouldn't care. I would rather have him use his position of influence to effect change.

9. Robert 1973

I think apologising is one of the ways in which he and others can effect change.

Michelle, obeat, sebaaa and 17 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think a public apology that specifies what they got wrong and what they think should happen next from someone so prominent in the world of medical research and care is important as an example to others who should also consider whether they have been and maybe still are getting it wrong about ME/CFS and LC. And to funding bodies as an indicator that he thinks we need a lot more and better research.

packhorse5, Michelle, obeat and 22 others like this.
  11. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that is what is needed as a starting point. It allows others to understand that showing humility and noting that things move on and people grow and can step up to the come to Jesus moment is an important example. Instead of feeling they need to keep burying themselves in being defensive of what they did or believed.

THe record can't be changed and grown-up conversations can't be had whilst some won't do anything other than stick their fingers in their ears. You acknowledge, apologise and move past. I've never understood those who can't or won't do it, because it never made any sense and in a way just makes whatever issue it is much bigger. UNless you think you can delay it forever. Then I've realised of recent years just what a huge proportion of people spend their entire being obsessed with not admitting 'being wrong' and fearful of that. So even a whiff, even if they are just being sensitive insinuiating that, of that being suggested and you get both barrels as if you've attacked them.

Ironic for an area that suggests the area is science because the literature debates ideas back and forth. It doesn't work if the area with all of the power not only hoards that but also becomes incapable of changing their mind or drawing a line under dead-ends. SO yes doing so is good leadership.

The consultation on the interim plan suggesting we need to compromise and give wording suggesting 'both sides' says it all really, where in essence it claims that requires us to take the blame in order for people to carry on doing the same and apparently be less antagonistic towards us

sebaaa, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  12. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anyone concerned that Fauci says in laying out a road map for how to approach ME/CFS, ‘first, stick with only post-COVID patients; do not dilute your sample with other post-viral conditions’?

This researcher who seems to work with Professor Akiko Iwasaki at Yale on Twitter says:

“Dr. Fauci is now recommending that non-COVID patients be excluded from research! This is a huge slap in the face to a group of patients that have spent decades begging the medical system to treat their debilitating disease.

Is it generally good to minimize confounding variables in research? Absolutely! But it also doesn't justify excluding a significant % of the patient population from your research agenda. There are ways to account for this in study design, and not applying them is also a choice.

Just like we can't assume that all people with LC will develop ME, we also can't assume that the LC-ME subtype involves the same mechanism as non-COVID ME.

***This is why both patient populations MUST be studied together, whenever possible, to facilitate direct comparisons.***

To my fellow researchers: the current focus on LC is also our opportunity to begin righting the wrongs of decades of medical neglect. These patients and advocates have laid the groundwork for us, and now WE need to do the work to be better.

We MUST do better than this.”

https://twitter.com/user/status/1743709734144733325

Attached Files:

Michelle, obeat, Starlight and 19 others like this.
  13. Robert 1973

I’ve missed this. Can someone please point me to the relevant quote and thread?

Ariel, SNT Gatchaman and Wonko like this.
  14. adrienne

adrienne Established Member

Truth and reconciliation first requires truth. At the very least an insistence on the inclusion of M.E. cohorts in research going forward.

Starlight, JemPD, sebaaa and 15 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and not only for the slap in the face, but because it will make the research worse off and take longer to achieve anything for a terrible reason.

COVID is not the only pathogen that causes this. This is known, and it means something. It means that there is something in common to several pathogens, and possibly some chemicals, that are the main factor, most likely in the immune response. Limiting research to a single pathogen will make it impossible to find those patterns, it would be like obsessively studying only the latest crime scene of a serial killer and ignoring all the other murders. This is the surest way to miss out on important clues.

I really don't know on what basis Fauci is saying this anyway, that window has passed by completely. In the very first months it would have been smart, but actually COVID is now a less viable pathogen to study because there are almost no controls left, whereas for all of the other pathogens there usually are plenty of controls left.

Likely this comes from his background in AIDS research, where the one and only virus is everything. This is clearly not the case here, so it's just bizarre to apply the wrong lessons to a different failure, especially when no lessons were actually learned from the failure of AIDS.

EzzieD, obeat, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  16. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean and Robert 1973 like this.
  17. Sid

Fauci isn't some random member of the public. He was the director of NIAID from 1984 until like two minutes ago. It's ok to change your mind and evolve your positions over time. We all do. It's not ok to pretend like you didn't just spend 40 years engaging in minimisation, denial and ridicule of us.

Michelle, EzzieD, obeat and 16 others like this.
  18. Sid

Yes, even now that the reality of postviral syndromes can no longer be denied, with millions of previously normally functioning individuals succumbing to disability en masse, he finds a way to exclude us.

EzzieD, obeat, Starlight and 13 others like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And even in the ongoing Covid pandemic, you can't assume that all new cases of ME/CFS are from SC2. The other causative pathogens (+/- non-pathogen triggers) haven't gone away.

Michelle, EzzieD, obeat and 16 others like this.
  20. Robert 1973