1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phenylephrine alteration of cerebral blood flow during orthostasis: effect on n-back performance in chronic fatigue syndrome, 2014, Medow et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Hoopoe, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My summary
    In CFS subjects, phenylephrine reduces the decrease in cerebral blood flow that occurs during head up tilt testing. This had a positive impact on performance in a cognitive test.

The study might hint at how to treat ME/CFS and at the underlying mechanisms of reduced cerebral blood flow. I found this by looking for a relationship between myogenic vasoconstriction and ME/CFS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4233252/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    ahimsa, mango, Mij and 3 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The baroreceptor sensitivity effect has been known for decades in POTS - but not necessarily ME/CFS.

A side note, but increased sensitivity to the baroreflex may explain why in some people the other normal cardiac reflexes are unable to raise their heart rate to near the age/sex predicted rate ('chronotropic incompetence')

FMMM1 likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) with orthostatic intolerance is characterized by neurocognitive deficits and impaired working memory, concentration, and information processing. In CFS, upright tilting [head-up tilt (HUT)] caused decreased cerebral blood flow velocity (CBFv) related to hyperventilation/hypocapnia and impaired cerebral autoregulation; increasing orthostatic stress resulted in decreased neurocognition. We loaded the baroreflex with phenylephrine to prevent hyperventilation and performed n-back neurocognition testing in 11 control subjects and 15 CFS patients. HUT caused a significant increase in heart rate (109.4 ± 3.9 vs. 77.2 ± 1.6 beats/min, P < 0.05) and respiratory rate (20.9 ± 1.7 vs. 14.2 ± 1.2 breaths/min, P < 0.05) and decrease in end-tidal CO2 (ETCO2; 42.8 ± 1.2 vs. 33.9 ± 1.1 Torr, P < 0.05) in CFS vs. control. HUT caused CBFv to decrease 8.7% in control subjects but fell 22.5% in CFS. In CFS, phenylephrine prevented the HUT-induced hyperventilation/hypocapnia and the significant drop in CBFv with HUT (−8.1% vs. −22.5% untreated). There was no difference in control subject n-back normalized response time (nRT) comparing supine to HUT (106.1 ± 6.9 vs. 97.6 ± 7.1 ms at n = 4), and no difference comparing control to CFS while supine (97.1 ± 7.1 vs 96.5 ± 3.9 ms at n = 4). However, HUT of CFS subjects caused a significant increase in nRT (148.0 ± 9.3 vs. 96.4 ± 6.0 ms at n = 4) compared with supine. Phenylephrine significantly reduced the HUT-induced increase in nRT in CFS to levels similar to supine (114.6 ± 7.1 vs. 114.6 ± 9.3 ms at n = 4). Compared with control subjects, CFS subjects are more sensitive both to orthostatic challenge and to baroreflex/chemoreflex-mediated interventions. Increasing blood pressure with phenylephrine can alter CBFv. In CFS subjects, mitigation of the HUT-induced CBFv decrease with phenylephrine has a beneficial effect on n-back outcome.