1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PhD Studentship - Contested Conditions: An Exploration of Experience and Understanding May 2020

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, May 19, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CAC231/p...n-exploration-of-experience-and-understanding

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Tia, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

There is slightly more here
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/media/13333/lss-scholarhsip-phd.pdf

MEMarge and Sly Saint like this.
  4. Valerie Eliot Smith

Valerie Eliot Smith Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the mention @Sly Saint Interesting.....

It would be useful to know the source of funding/sponsorship for this proposal. It seems curious that someone wants to throw £50k at such an ill-defined project. Most prospective PhD candidates already have an idea of how they want to frame their work, rather than adapting their ideas into a prescribed format. However, no doubt someone will take it up. It is funding, after all.

The conflation of all these diseases/conditions into a pre-conceived notion of "contested conditions" will achieve little of value for patients. The social/sociological/clinical objectives are unclear.

The proposed "socio-legal" aspects are examined regularly at considerable length elsewhere in genuine legal research and commentary. Their inclusion seems somewhat superfluous to this undertaking, other than to justify it coming under the surprisingly wide-ranging auspices of RHUL's Department of Law and Criminology.

If any potential PhD candidate approached me with this as a suggested thesis topic, I'd tell them to go away and come back when they have constructed a more sophisticated and tightly designed proposal with some genuine novelty and social/sociological value - and a proper working title! The current parameters barely meet even the most minimal postgraduate standards.

It may be that this is the obligatory external advertising of an opportunity which is already assigned to an individual student and is for appearances' sake only.

[Edited to add:] Just to be clear - sadly, I don't think this particular research will create any significant improvement in the future treatment of ME patients.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Michelle, Sly Saint, rvallee and 4 others like this.