Phd project: Developing an AI-driven BCI-based neurofeedback device to treat chronic post-viral fatigue syndrome University of Essex

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.findaphd.com/phds/proje...-chronic-post-viral-fatigue-syndrome/?p158873

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Deadline Monday 5th June.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly, I hate all this stuff. We don't even understand the basics of fatigue or brain fog and we're playing around with neurofeedback devices and AI. This just feels like researchers playing with toys of their choice.

Also, the way this project is framed makes me think that this is motivated by getting sick people to be more productive at work.

EndME, Hutan, Sean and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad you said that, @InitialConditions. I had the same reaction. It feels like GET for the brain without understanding the particular nature of cognitive dysfunction, what's causing it and cognitive fatiguability. And just like GET, it's aimed to get people back to work as if we're not managing our activity and thinking properly rather than that we're sick.

Hutan, oldtimer, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there would be potential for AI to use TCM or other tools for "poking" areas of the brain to see whether stimulation could affect symptoms, with the intent of understanding what's going on, rather than correcting it. As Trish said, this sounds more like GET for the brain: trying to exercise "flabby" brain functions. If the patient gets cognitively-triggered PEM, then the results will be the same as GET: harm to patients.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wrong direction, buddy. Why do people make assertions like that when it's clearly the other way around? Why would cognitive deficits contribute to fatigue? Doesn't even make sense.

EndME, RedFox, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

hammer therefore nail

EndME, EzzieD, RedFox and 4 others like this.