1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Personality and Perfectionism in CFS, 2008, Chalder & Deary

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MEMarge, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Dial It In

Dial It In Established Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Lidia and Art Vandelay like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the early days of psychology and "CFS" it was stated in different ways that patients were people who wanted to be perfectionist or something like that and when they couldn't manage they adopted "the sick role" rather than see themselves as just ordinary. I think it was Stephen Strauss who described them as B class women (most of his most outrageous statements dismissed women) with A class aspirations.

Hutan, Inara, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never heard of this man. He sounds like a mysogynist. Why do so many of them decide to go into medicine?

Is this him?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Straus

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stephen Strauss was the CDC guy who turned the world against us. He decided Tahoe was an epstein barr epidemic and when he found it wasn't he turned against the patients. He refused to admit it was ME and toured US hospitals talking about us in such a way that Yuppy flu was invented. The doctors from Tahoe complained to him that he had left a big ugly wound on a young woman's leg when he took a muscle biopsy and he sneered at them that he wasn't a plastic surgeon. The results of the biopsies were never published. I loathed everything I ever heard about him.

Hutan, Inara, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  6. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I demand better quality ME/CFS research, does that make me a perfectionist?

Hutan, Snow Leopard, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  7. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose it’s a matter of perspective...the sloppy can’t be bothered researcher who doesn’t know what she/he’s doing might think so?

Hutan, Woolie, Webdog and 1 other person like this.