1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent postural-perceptual dizziness (PPPD): a common, characteristic and treatable cause of chronic dizziness (2017) Popkirov, Staab, Stone

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Esther12, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't planning to post this, and was only skimming through, but was blown away by the combination of confidence and low quality evidence in this new piece and thought it could be of interest to others (@Woolie ?).

http://pn.bmj.com.sci-hub.tw/content/early/2017/12/09/practneurol-2017-001809

Woolie, Andy, Scarecrow and 4 others like this.
  2. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At what point did the meaning of "functional" go from "it's happening but we can't yet identify the cause" to
    "it's happening but we can't yet identify the cause so you must be imagining it"?

Being dizzy is not funny. One cannot talk/think oneself into or out of it. Period.

Also, using the broad brush of "maladaption" is just lazy and rude. The body is wise, and usually adapts
    in the most optimal way available to it. Yes, a person's relationship with an ongoing condition can sometimes use some fine-tuning, but to be honest most chronics have that sorted after living with [X] for a while.

So sick of these people focusing on imaginary "disorders" and their fantasy "treatment" counterparts.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course the vestibular rehab is just there to deflect sarcastic comments about treating every(censored) poorly understood illness in the exact same manner as depression, with CBT and SSRI's.

Zombie Lurker, Woolie, Andy and 5 others like this.
  4. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And is surely the cause of any remission of symptoms obtained.

Andy likes this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if it is related to this paper, but in this 2014 paper doctors at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York, apparently found a remarkably effective treatment for a type of "bobbing" dizziness known as Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS). This is a type of dizziness that some people get after getting off of a moving vehicle like a boat or train. It usually goes away, but, in some people, it can last for years.
    This finding was also discussed here: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-08/tmsh-nt080714.php

The dizziness described is of the same character as the dizziness that marked the onset of my ME/CFS - however, mine came out of the blue and was not precipitated by any kind of unusual motion in a vehicle or anything else.

The treatment sounds like something they'd do to No. 6 in "The Prisoner" TV series. You sit in a chair as your head is tilted from side to side. Meanwhile, rotating bars are projected on a screen in front of you.

I have no idea if this would help dizziness in ME/CFS. It sounds bizarre, but apparently it works in many cases of MdDS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Mij, ScottTriGuy, Allele and 2 others like this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Argh, so annoying. I've heard of phobic postural vertigo before, I was asked to get involved in a study. Thought it was a crock then, but I now wish I had actually got involved, if for nothing else than to help save these poor patients from this psycho-BS.

Look at this:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!!

"Once we explained it to them, they said 'hey wow, I never realised I was just nuts and imagining it all, now you've explained it to me I feel totally fine!'"

These guys live in a world where the wise doctor simply "knows" all our follies and our misconceptions and their wisdom is all that's needed to make us better. Is that overoptimism or just pure and simple arrogance?

Btw, they offer no support at all for that 72% figure that were said to have recovered just by being told they were nuts. The paper says 36%, and the measure on which it is based is not explained.

Oh, and that seems to be crap about the patients having comorbid psychiatric problems. The power of confirmation bias, eh? Do you think if I point out to these neurologists the faulty basis of their beliefs, they will make a complete recovery and stop banging on about this being a mental problem? Or is the wisdom only allowed to flow in the other direction?

Mij, Zombie Lurker, Viola and 7 others like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

PS @Forbin's point about Mal de Debarquement syndrome is a really good one. Its reasonably common, poorly understood and probably hugely underdiagnosed.

Mij and Trish like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Stopped there.

Woolie, Allele, EzzieD and 2 others like this.