Persistent endothelial dysfunction in post-COVID-19 syndrome and its associations with symptom severity and chronic inflammation, 2023, Kuchler et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, May 26, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Persistent endothelial dysfunction in post-COVID-19 syndrome and its associations with symptom severity and chronic inflammation
    Timon Kuchler; Roman Günthner; Andrea Ribeiro; Renate Hausinger; Lukas Streese; Anna Wöhnl; Veronika Kesseler; Johanna Negele; Tarek Assali; Javier Carbajo-Lozoya; Maciej Lech; Kristina Adorjan; Hans Christian Stubbe; Henner Hanssen; Konstantin Kotilar; Berhard Haller; Uwe Heemann; Christoph Schmaderer

Background
    Post-COVID-19 syndrome (PCS) is a lingering disease with ongoing symptoms such as fatigue and cognitive impairment resulting in a high impact on the daily life of patients. Understanding the pathophysiology of PCS is a public health priority, as it still poses a diagnostic and treatment challenge for physicians.

Methods
    In this prospective observational cohort study, we analyzed the retinal microcirculation using Retinal Vessel Analysis (RVA) in a cohort of patients with PCS and compared it to an age- and gender-matched healthy cohort (n=41, matched out of n = 204).

Measurements and main results
    PCS patients exhibit persistent endothelial dysfunction (ED), as indicated by significantly lower venular §icker-induced dilation (vmax; 3.42% ± 1.77% vs. 4.64 % ± 2.59%; p = 0.02), narrower central retinal artery equivalent (CRAE; 178.1 [167.5 - 190.2] vs. 189.1 [179.4 - 197.2], p = 0.01) and lower arteriolar-venular ratio (AVR; (0.84 [0.8 - 0.9] vs. 0.88 [0.8 - 0.9], p = 0.007). When combining AVR and vmax, predicted scores reached good ability to discriminate groups (area under the curve: 0.75). Higher PCS severity scores correlated with lower AVR (R= -0.37 p = 0.017). The association of microvascular changes with PCS severity were amplified in PCS patients exhibiting higher levels of in§ammatory parameters.

Conclusion
    Our results demonstrate that prolonged endothelial dysfunction is a hallmark of PCS, and impairments of the microcirculation seem to explain ongoing symptoms in patients. As potential therapies for PCS emerge, RVA parameters may become relevant as clinical biomarkers for diagnosis and therapy management.

Trial Registration
    This study was previously registered at ClinicalTrials (“All Eyes on PCS - Analysis of the Retinal Microvasculature in Patients With Post-COVID-19 Syndrome”. NCT05635552. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05635552).

Link | PDF (Preprint: Research Square)

Hutan, EndME, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, EndME, RedFox and 11 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the Conclusion: " Our results demonstrate that prolonged endothelial dysfunction is a hallmark of PCS, and impairments of the microcirculation seem to explain ongoing symptoms in patients."

It appears this study adds some credence to the theory regarding circulatory problems in ME.

Hutan, EndME, Joan Crawford and 6 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard that Scheibenbogen is using RVA as part of her Biomarker platform (apart from EndoPAT for endothelial dysfunction assessment). So hopefully we will see some replication of this work from other labs soon.

Hutan, Robert 1973, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A significant factor in this study seems to be that ME/CFS Long-Covid patients are obese in this study (compared to the remaing Long-Covid patients). This has implications on the results as many other studies suggest https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29743194/. Of course this doesn't have implications on the overall results if there is decent matching amongst those cohorts (which according to the BMI results seems to be the case, but there is some obesity mismatching P=0.60).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    Hutan, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'd missed this paper:

[​IMG]

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and EndME like this.
  8. Hutan

These measures have been used in heart disease research and seem to be credible as measures of endothelial dysfunction.
    41 PCS
    204 healthy controls - SARS CoV-2 naive - which is a shame. Healthy post Covid-19 patients would have been better

The Canadian Consensus Criteria were used to identify the ME/CFS PCS patients. 25/41 were assessed as meeting the criteria.
    With the high level of those particular symptoms, I think we can assume that most of the PCS patients would meet the IOM criteria.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  9. Hutan

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 6.32.41 am.png
    There is a lot of overlap between the two cohorts. The arteriolar/venular (width) ratio (AVR) shows the best separation, with a very good P value. But, still a lot of overlap.

The association with narrower retinal arterioles became non-significant "after adjustment" for confounders. I'm not sure what confounders were adjusted for. The AVR remained significant, although only just.

I think this is a really interesting study. Yes, the issue of obesity in the more severely affected patients is a problem. Yes, more replication is needed, better controlling for the confounding of obesity.

10. Hutan

Sean, Lindberg, EndME and 2 others like this.