1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistence of Neutrophil extracellular traps and anti-cardiolipin auto-antibodies in post-acute phase COVID-19 patients 2022 Pisareva et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

This exploratory prospective study based on 279 individuals showed that plasma levels of neutrophil elastase, myeloperoxidase and circulating DNA of nuclear and mitochondrial origins in non-severe (NS), severe (S) and post-acute phase (PAP) COVID-19 patients were statistically different as compared to the levels in healthy individuals, and revealed the high diagnostic power of these markers in respect to the disease severity. The diagnostic power of NE, MPO, and cir-nDNA as determined by the Area Under Receiver Operating Curves (AUROC) was 0.95, 097 and 0.64; 0.99, 1.0 and 0.82; and 0.94, 1.0, and 0.93, in NS, S and PAP patient subgroups, respectively. In addition, a significant fraction of NS, S as well as of PAP patients exhibited aCL IgM/IgG and anti-B2GP IgM/IgG positivity.

We first demonstrate persistence of these NETs (Neutrophil extracellular traps) markers in PAP patients and consequently of sustained innate immune response imbalance, and a prolonged low-level pro-thrombotic potential activity highlighting the need to monitor these markers in all COVID-19 PAP individuals, to investigate post-acute COVID-19 pathogenesis following intensive care, and to better identify which medical resources will ensure complete patient recovery.

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.28209

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My memory might be faulty, but I think anti-cardiolipin was found in people with ME but was another promising avenue that died for lack of funding rather than any research that should it was wrong.

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.