1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Perceptible changes in muscle tension (moderate ME)

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Kitty, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wanted to ask about this, as it’s always seemed fundamental to what went wrong when I got ill in 1976. I think it’s an ME phenomenon, but I don’t know if everyone has it.

I’ve been in a phase of reduced capacity since early July, but this morning the switch happened. Over about 30 seconds, the tension in all my muscles released.

It’s almost as tangible as sinking into a hot bath after a hard day, but it’s not the same. Whatever's changing is at a more microscopic level, and it can’t be controlled voluntarily.

It can’t be induced by massage either. That’s a short-lived effect, but in the absence of significant PEM, this switch can persist for a long while. When I had overnight remissions in the first two decades of illness, it lasted years.

Instead of being jerky, weak, and needing conscious pushing, my muscles switch to a smoother, less effortful mode. The fatigability’s still there, but there’s more reliability and control; I don’t feel whenever I’m upright that I might fall at any moment. It’s like a combination of recovering from dehydration, getting non-ME sleep, and losing 15 kilos in weight.

I know bodily sensations aren’t especially helpful when investigating ME, but if I took part in a treatment trial, I’d definitely want this on my list of potential outcomes. It might be peculiar to me or only occur in a small subset, but if it’s more widespread, it probably ought to be recognised as a reliable sign of some improvement, and its persistence (or not) recorded.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had problems with tensed up muscles since I was a child. I know the cause of one of the problems I have. I clench my jaw to prevent it moving when I'm not talking or eating or yawning or whatever. I am convinced this started to reduce the chances of me getting pain from mouth ulcers. People probably aren't aware of this but the tongue (just like the eyes) usually moves slightly all the time (or at least mine does and I suspect it is normal). To stop that happening I clench my jaw and also suck the saliva out of my mouth which creates a small vacuum that keeps everything still. This reduces the risk of getting pain from my ulcers.

Another problem I have with tensed up muscles is in my shoulders. This usually tends to occur in bed, but not always. I can relax my shoulders but as soon as they have relaxed they start tensing up again and it happens even when I'm conscious of it. I'm sure this tensing up is a factor in my lifelong problems with insomnia.

Personally, I have decided my problem might be tetany, although I have never broached the subject with a doctor - I'm convinced I would be prescribed anti-depressants by default :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetany

I have found that taking a "cocktail" of orange juice mixed with a small dose of magnesium citrate and a small dose of potassium bicarbonate both in powder form helps to relax my muscles (although too much potassium can trigger tetany as well so caution is essential) - until next time - I don't take it every day. I could use magnesium and potassium powders in different forms but in my experience there isn't a way of avoiding their awful taste - although the OJ helps.

What Is The Best Magnesium Supplement? - DrJockers.com

Potassium, your invisible friend | Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

MeSci, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm fairly sure that I've had a few occurrences of this, having become ill in 1995. I think that cannabis also brings it about temporarily. It definitely eases muscle tension.

I've even been able to dance (as far as I'm skilfully able!).

The early occurrence(s) lasted months, I think.

Arnie Pye, Wonko and Trish like this.