1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'People say I don't look ill' - BBC article on Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by MeSci, Jul 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lyme disease: 'People say I don't look ill' - BBC News

Yen Lau caught Lyme disease from an infected tick bite during a camping trip to Loch Lomond almost four years ago.

She says she is living with an "invisible disease" that today still causes her days-long bouts of sickness, migraines, dizziness and chronic fatigue.

But she is determined to enjoy her "good days" when she does not feel ill, and also wants to raise awareness of the risks posed by the tiny arachnids.

"People say I don't look ill," says Yen, 35, from Glasgow.

"But they see me on days when I am well. They don't see me when I'm vomiting, or dizzy or fatigued."

In 2019, infectious disease doctors warned that long-term Lyme disease cases were often misdiagnosed through "expensive and unvalidated" tests abroad. They suggested the majority of people who believed they had a chronic form of the disease were more likely to have chronic fatigue syndrome.

(I wasn't sure whether I should have posted this in an ME/CFS forum.)

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@MeSci, I think it is useful to share Lyme’s disease info here, because of potential misdiagnosis of Lyme’s as ME and ME as Lyme’s, because of the overlap in symptoms raising the possibility of similar or related disease processes, because it is not impossible for some individuals to have both conditions and because of the common experience of both lots of patients in relation to medical disbelief.

Yessica, alktipping, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  3. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks for posting.

I was a misdiagnosis luckily I am doing well on long term antimicrobials

MeSci, Yessica, alktipping and 3 others like this.