1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pediatric somatization in the emergency department: assessing missed opportunities for early management, 2020, Virk et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...y-management/471FBA3508298FE62AA5BFA48608E9E1
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1017/cem.2019.477

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Oh well, that's settled then.

:grumpy:

ukxmrv, alktipping, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When a person thinks they have special insight that others lack that allows them to know about invisible and unobservable causes of disease they are probably considered eccentric and a little stupid, in the worst cases maybe even psychotic. Except when it's a very popular delusional belief like that of psychogenic illness.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just of curiosity, does anyone know if there's a starting age point for diagnosis of somatization in paediatrics?

I do wish they would think about/could see the life limiting consequences of such B.S.. Blighting a person's life before they've even begun living it. :cry:

alktipping, Sean, lycaena and 4 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, the famously accurate and precise unit of measurement known as a "guesstimate", the SI unit being known as a Shrug.

And what is the actual measured accuracy of this guesstimate unit? My guess would be much less than 3.3% and I would even give you 2 extra precision digits, because everyone knows serious guesstimates require at least 2 and 4 is just a bit overconfident.

And the goopification of medicine powers on. Physicians are now wizards who can sense whether disease is present or not, I guess.

alktipping, Sean, Simbindi and 5 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds similar to a school file note pre ME. It was noted that there was no reason for my daughter not being at school ( sore throat not believed- first hint of glandular fever) . Still on file.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And how often are problems later identified corrected? Most of the time it would be different physicians likely not even working on the same file, there's literally no system in place to track a diagnosis across multiple providers so very likely someone "diagnosed" with conversion whatever then later diagnosed with a non-discriminated disease wouldn't even get corrected, always remain as one of those false stats that go into the churn of the fake mental health crisis.

Accuracy and integrity of data are the hardest part of any data analysis and frankly medicine is terrible at both whenever there is any ambiguity that leans towards the dark corners of discriminated chronic diseases. It doesn't matter how smart or clever a process to analyse data is if at source they are incorrect because of biases and personal convictions from the physicians who produced it, especially if there is no means to correct invalid data.

9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

more bs so lazy shits with a medical degree can say not my problem . just how rife is this amongst medical professionals . will it take a very high percentage of patients demanding these cretins are removed from practice for anything to change .