Review Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of neuroinflammation in covid-19, 2023, Brown et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Aug 20, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of neuroinflammation in covid-19
    Rachel L Brown; Laura Benjamin; Michael P Lunn; Tehmina Bharucha; Michael S Zandi; Chandrashekar Hoskote; Patricia McNamara; Hadi Manji

Although neurological complications of SARS-CoV-2 infection are relatively rare, their potential long term morbidity and mortality have a significant impact, given the large numbers of infected patients. Covid-19 is now in the differential diagnosis of a number of common neurological syndromes including encephalopathy, encephalitis, acute demyelinating encephalomyelitis, stroke, and Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Physicians should be aware of the pathophysiology underlying these presentations to diagnose and treat patients rapidly and appropriately. Although good evidence has been found for neurovirulence, the neuroinvasive and neurotropic potential of SARS-CoV-2 is limited. The pathophysiology of most complications is immune mediated and vascular, or both. A significant proportion of patients have developed long covid, which can include neuropsychiatric presentations. The mechanisms of long covid remain unclear. The longer term consequences of infection with covid-19 on the brain, particularly in terms of neurodegeneration, will only become apparent with time and long term follow-up.

Link | PDF (BMJ)

RedFox, livinglighter and Hutan like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for highlighting that bit SNT. I think that's useful wording to suggest in the 'Language' section of the UK Consultation on the ME/CFS Delivery Plan.

Link here:
    5. UK: 2023 Interim Delivery Plan on ME/CFS consultation: Language use

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023