1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paresthesia in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Eddie, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wanted to know if other pw ME/CFS experience any sort of paresthesia and what the possible causes are.

I have had tingling and hypersensitivity to touch primarily in my left torso, leg and arm for around 7 years now. I believe the tingling was a result of a sports injury to my back, however, no MRI ever showed any clear abnormalities. This incident preceded the development of my ME/CFS by about 4 years and it is not clear to me if they are related.

While not as debilitating as other symptoms, it is still very annoying and has kept me from wearing any sort of tight fitting clothing for years, even before developing ME/CFS. At no point has the paresthesia been particularly painful, however, it has been constant, very annoying, and has not responded to any treatments.

Besides common causes such as MS, peripheral neuropathy, herniated discs, diabetes or vitamin deficiencies, are there any other processes that can cause this? I am not asking for medical advice, but I'd love to hear if others have this issue and what might cause more localized tingling and skin hypersensitivity.

alktipping, Helene, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that we have no firm evidence for regional paraesthesia being associated with ME. There are lots of potential causes. Sorting them out requires detailed neurological examination and imaging. Even with investigation a clear explanation is not always found. However, if symptoms persist and particularly if they get worse repeat imaging can sometimes show changes that were not apparent initially.

alktipping, Helene, voner and 6 others like this.
  3. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

Since I developed ME at 13 years old, I have had increased sensitivity to touch in my whole skin, and sensations of burning and "pins and needles" mainly in my hands and feet, but also on other areas. Paradoxically, I also have a decrease of sensitivity to touch in my hands and feet. My ME started with pain in my pharynx, which continues to this day. I believe it's possible that people with ME present the symptoms of an initial viral infection that triggered their disease, so they have a combination of ME symptoms plus the symptoms caused by damage from an extinct infection or an ongoing chronic infection. AS I understand it, virus of the herpesviridae family have an affinity for the nervous symptoms, which could explain the paresthesia and also the ME onset, as they're are believed to be able to trigger it

alktipping, Wonko and Helene like this.
  4. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have what my ME physician and I think is paresthesia. It started about 2 years ago, several decades after my journey with ME began. My main symptom is tingling and a burning cold feeling in the tops of my feet going up to my ankles and sometimes on the tops of my hands. Mine is triggered by cold and i seem to be able to manage it by avoiding letting my feet and hands get cold. I wear thick 100% wool mountaineering socks day and night with the exception of hot summer days, usually with wool slippers over the socks. As soon as my feet feel like they're getting cool i wrap them in an electric blanket. This works for me but I don't get the skin sensitivity others have so perhaps I have a less severe case or possibly something else?

alktipping and Wonko like this.