1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paid Research Study for CFS/ME patients who have been in therapy (NYC)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've posted this here in members only as I am not sure if it's allowed (I will report it myself to check). If it is, it might get moved, if not then I'm happy for it to be deleted.

"
    Do you have a diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)/ myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) and have you been in psychotherapy?

If so, we want to know about your experience!

You will be given $35.00 for your time

Eligibility

- Has your physician given you a diagnosis of CFS (CDC definition)?
    - Have you received individual psychotherapy in the United States within the past 5 years?
    - Are you fluent in English?
    - Are you a woman between the Ages 18-60?"

according to the contact details it comes from someone at Fordham University:
    https://www.fordham.edu/

more details here:
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/etc/d/paid-research-study-for-cfs/6456487792.html

Joh, Esther12, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is the goal of this research?

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most studies in the US seem to give some sort of payment.

There may be a different culture there. For example, a lot of people get paid to donate blood there.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This seems to be all the detail available.

Joh, MEMarge, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was all ready to spend an hour practicing my best mock psychobabble and making opportune fart noises over the phone, all for that sweet $35. But then I remembered I'm not a woman. :laugh:

ETA: If you're not from the US, you may not know that Craigslist is also full of scammers who just want your credit card number. So do make sure you verify the authenticity of this study before participating.

MEMarge and Graham like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But perhaps @Webdog your psychotherapy has left you confused over your true gender. Don't let the mere reality of the biology confuse you: it's amazing what the right attitude can do to a body. I've been practising the Lightning Process for the last week, and every time I think I may be a bit bald, I drop some pieces of paper on the floor, step on the one marked STOP, then step on the one marked CHOICE, and after psyching myself up to really believe in it, I step on a hairy rug.

Hoopoe, JemPD, Valentijn and 9 others like this.