1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PACE trial TSC and TMG minutes released

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, Mar 23, 2018.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I think that's important. They essentially did everything they could to get a positive result and even with everything rigged in their favour, they didn't find anything more than a small, subjective, temporary effect which can be explained by other factors.

janice, pteropus, sea and 20 others like this.
  2. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Thanks.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Lucibee. It's also odd how in this they were talking about the rush to get baseline actimeter data ready for publication... nearly a decade later and it has still not been published.

janice, pteropus, Moosie and 15 others like this.
  4. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So essentially PACE was a trial of how to stop those pesky patients from complaining?
    Obviously actual activity didn’t need to be measured - because the patients could be active if they wanted...
    This seems to prove that GET is just physical CBT in their minds.
    Fatigue is only subjective and behaviour change as a result is just maladaptive.....
    So no need to waste time on objective measures - especially if they are going to muddy the waters by not backing up the subjective improvements gained by trying to brainwash participants into behaving ‘properly’ again.

sea, ladycatlover, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I get the impression that the necessary analytics was too complex for them.

ladycatlover, Sean, Lucibee and 3 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that true?

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmmm... or was it?

Moosie and ladycatlover like this.
  8. Adrian

Given it was just baseline data I suspect it was. But it could be it exposed something uncomfortable for them.

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's really amazing (except nothing amazes me with this lot now) how their very own extreme expectation bias, fed through into everything else they touched, right from the outset.

Joh, ladycatlover, BruceInOz and 2 others like this.
  10. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Magical Medicine again:

Initially, the Trial Investigators planned to use objective measures of physical ability at the conclusion of the Trial (the cost of the Actiwatch sensors was included in the funding application), but Peter White decided that any actigraphy measurements should not be taken at the end of the Trial. As Tom Kindlon from Ireland points out, this is notable, since Professor White is aware that self‐reported (ie. subjective) improvements may not match real (ie. objective) improvements and equally that there are discrepancies between subjective and objective measures of activity (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471‐2377/7/6/comments#333618).

Not to use objective measures of improvement (such as actigraphy; physiological measurements; return to employment) is deemed by many to be scientifically inexcusable in an MRC trial that specifically sets out to assess the efficacy of the interventions employed in the trial.

Then:

Participants are told that they will be lent a heart rate monitor so that they can measure how hard they are working during their exercises and are instructed on how to use it (it is to be strapped under the shirt and it transmits a signal to a receiver on a strap like a watch strap).

This makes all the more incomprehensible Professor Peter White’s decision to abandon the use of actigraphy monitors that are strapped round an ankle and which provide an objective measure of improvement (or otherwise); compared with using a heart rate monitor and the need to keep daily activity diaries, RPE scores, goal sheets, exercise diaries, GET plans, progress sheets and other records, the wearing of an
    actigraphy monitor for a week at the end of the PACE Trial would not be at all onerous.

:

(10) The Investigators originally intended to obtain a non‐invasive objective measure of outcome using post‐treatment actigraphy but abandoned this on the grounds that wearing such a monitor would be too great a burden at the end of the trial (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471‐2377/7/6/comments). Therefore, after
    spending millions of pounds of public money and involving hundreds of people in an intensive regime, they completely fail to obtain objective measurements that would reveal whether or not the interventions are successful.

:

Furthermore, a study on (ME)CFS patients in the US by Friedberg et al that used CBT and which also encouraged activity found on actigraphy measurements that there was in fact a numerical decrease from the pre‐treatment baseline (Cognitive‐behaviour therapy in chronic fatigue syndrome: is improvement related to increased physical activity? J Clin Psychol 2009, Feburary 1).

janice, Moosie, inox and 9 others like this.
  11. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2010/magical-medicine_hooper_feb2010.pdf

p58

"That FM patients were to be included in the PACE Trial was further confirmed on 12th May 2004 by Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department of Health, Dr Stephen Ladyman, at an All Party Parliamentary Group on Fibromyalgia, who announced that doctors were being offered financial inducements to persuade patients with FM to attend a “CFS” Clinic to aid recruitment to the PACE Trial (EIF: Spring/Summer 2004, page 19).

This caused written representations to be made to the MRC, because FM is classified as a distinct entity in ICD‐10 at section M79.0 under Soft Tissue Disorders and it is not permitted for the same condition to be classified to more than one rubric, so concern was expressed as to how the intentional inclusion of disparate disorders could yield meaningful results, especially as FM was expressly excluded from the Systematic Review of the literature on CBT/GET carried out by the Centre for Reviews and Dissemination at York, whose authors were categoric: “Studies including patients with fibromyalgia were not selected for review” (JAMA 2001:286:11:1360‐1368)."

janice, Moosie, Inara and 8 others like this.
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought I'd post some slightly OT notes I have relating to PACE dropping actometers:

Discussion on the need for more objective outcomes (following on from the previous meeting where they also discussed the impossibility of blinding) - from PACE Trial Joint meeting of the Trial Steering Committee and Data Monitoring and Ethics Committee

2pm to 5pm, Monday 27th September. 2004

How PACE explained using actometers at baseline only, after the failure to use them as an outcome measure led to critical comments on the trial's protocol in 2007: https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2377-7-6/comments

This is how PACE justified dropping actimeters after this attracted criticism, from FAQ 2 (appx 2011?2012?): https://www.qmul.ac.uk/wolfson/media/wolfson/current-projects/faq2.pdf

No mention in the above of their decision having been based on news of results from Wiborg/Bleijenberg showing CBT failed to lead to an improvement in objectively measured activity levels: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047707?dopt=Abstract

Now we have these new excerpts from their TSC minutes from 2005:

[​IMG]
    They were circulating these null results before deciding what to do... and they have completely failed to admit publicly to the role this played in their decision making.

[​IMG]

I'm sure that they've also been called out on the dropping of actometers in letters to journals, and that they've responded their too, but I cannot remember exactly which one.

PS Bonus from FAQ3!:

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/wolfson/media/wolfson/current-projects/faq3.pdf

And from Knoop on objectively measured activity:

"Recovery of CFS was possible, even if the physical activity level of the patient remained low."

From p 104 here: https://www.academia.edu/3382407/Is...avioural_therapy_for_chronic_fatigue_syndrome

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Chezboo, Inara, JohnTheJack and 15 others like this.
  13. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Wow, they admitted they left out actigraphy because they knew that GET doesn't genuinely increase activity.

Most here suspected this was the reason. But there it is, in black and white.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    janice, Joh, JohnTheJack and 12 others like this.
  14. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yes, and the whole behavioural-deconditioning model kind makes explicit the deconditioning thing.

Inara, JohnTheJack, Esther12 and 8 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It looks like deliberate deception to me.

1. Agree privately it's not a good outcome measure because the Dutch studies showed it didn't show improvement and that's not the outcome wanted from the trial.
    2. Then tell everyone publicly the reason it's not being used as an outcome measure is because it's too much of a burden for patients.

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Esther12, I have logged it in my notebook too.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course way back in 1989 Wessely pointed out that ME muscles are not actually low on function, in the same paragraph that he warned about the dangers of getting low muscle function in ME.

But if people put on red noses and baggy pants that is only circumstantial evidence. If they actually push custard pies in each others' faces you have objective outcome measures.

BurnA, JohnTheJack, Jan and 5 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Looks that way, doesn't it.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Didn't White use a similar excuse for not doing tilt-table testing? (not for PACE).

Invisible Woman, Jan and ladycatlover like this.
  20. Adrian

I seem to remember that Wessely was claiming that one small study on one aspect of muscle function meant that there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with muscle function.