1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Overdosed with coffee - crashed really badly.

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by svetoslav80, Dec 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not completely sure it's the caffeine that benefits me, although it's difficult to compare because I've never been able to cope with the taste of tea or coffee.

I did once try taking bits of a caffeine tablet to help me get a grant application in, and even though I only took a crumb at a time, it eventually made me feel jittery. Cola doesn't do that, and it probably has more caffeine than I took then – it's really hard to fathom. I have wondered about the phenylalanine content possibly being a benefit (I drink diet cola), but I don't really know!

ladycatlover likes this.
  2. Badpack

Badpack Established Member (Voting Rights)

Its proven that there is disturbance in the autonomic nerve system. Everyone who is still drinking coffee, coke, alcohol, energy drinks has only to blame themselves tbh.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you scolding us? ;) I have decent will power but I'm still human. I also had issues with caffeine before ME.

Kitty, TigerLilea, Anna H and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My phenylalanine and tyrosine levels on my amino acids test were way below normal range. They were the lowest of all my amino acids.

Kitty, ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No one is - that was the point ;)

ladycatlover, Kitty and Anna H like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there an equal number here who find that it is underdosing on coffee that causes the crash? This being scientific forum....

7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl::rofl:

To the best of my highly unscientific knowledge, neither the presence nor absence of caffeine has caused me to crash.

Genetically I'm supposed to be a slow metaboliser (if you believe any of that stuff, and largely I don't; I just regret not having the energy at the time to persuade the person gifting me the test to donate it to ME research instead). Caffeine can give me a bit of a headache and an inability to concentrate if I take it in tablet form, and if I drink too much in the evening I risk more nighttime loo trips, but that seems to be all.

ETA: Nor any other substance I've ingested, come to think of it.

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well you could have pointed that out explicitly before I tried it! :(

ladycatlover, Kitty and Wonko like this.
  9. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As with everything else, my reaction to caffeine is topsy turvy.

Yesterday I was in pain everywhere, my anxiety was through the roof and I was so brainfogged I couldn't have trusted myself to reliably add two and two. By late afternoon I couldn't take any more and made myself some coffee.

Within ten minutes the thick fog thinned to a fine mist, the anxiety vanished and I felt 'normal' again. Even the pain was more bearable. This has happened so many times now that I'm confident it's not coincidence.

I deliberately don't drink caffeinated coffee except in these situations because if I do it doesn't have the same effect.