Orthostatic and Exercise Intolerance in Recreational and Competitive Athletes With Long COVID, 2022, Rao, Systrom et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

SNT Gatchaman, Wyva, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, this is a nice rebuttal to the "You're out of shape" meme:
    This is an apples and oranges comparison because the first test was cycling and the second was rowing, but for what it's worth, his VO2Max before Covid was 49.1. After Covid it was 36.7 mL/min/kg. That's a 25% drop.
    The first and third went from being highly trained athletes to being severely disabled.

They recommend exercise...
    ...but they seem to think this is only applicable to people with dysautonomia-like symptoms:
    I just with they were more direct about saying that people with PEM simply don't tolerate exercise.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's such a new concept to them that they just can't wrap their heads around the fact that exercise makes us worse.

4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't consider the concept of PEM new to them...one of the authors was Dr. Systrom.

Edit: Typo

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  5. marcjr

marcjr Established Member

Dr. Systrom is probably the best exercise intolerance expert out there. Very familiar with the concept of PEM.

Having consulted myself with him before, I am not surprised with the theme of this paper. He is usually associated with Mestinon, which is his drug of choice, but not everyone talks about the gradual exercise program, which is as much recommended by him as the drug. He also prescribes a mitochondrial cocktail, when necessary.
    I do believe that exercise has a therapeutic effect, when done correctly. There is plenty of evidence that mitochondria can adapt to aerobic training. But this is easier said than done. It is very hard to pull it off without any professional support. If you overdo, I/R injuries are just around the corner. In general, breaking something is much easier than building it.

My hope is that Bocidelpar will make exercise programs safer for us.

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really? Preload failure is present in 'all' pwME? Or is it just pwME with POTS?

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I assume they mean all in their study.

Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  9. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.