1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Book: On Reclaming Brokenness and Refusing the Violence of "Recovery Narratives" by A.H. Reaume

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Kalliope, Jun 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spotted this on twitter today and warmly recommend it!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273330735806627840

It took me a while to realize that the way I saw myself and the way I was treated was directly caused by the harmful cultural stories we tell about injury and disability and health and accommodation and value. Those wrong maps are the ones that help us navigate what to do when a friend who looks fine cancels on us at the last minute or isn’t able to listen to us when we’re in crisis.

We don’t have stories that tell us how that friend’s disabilities might be intermittent, invisible, and unpredictable and how frightening it is to live in a body like that. How much someone living in such a body might need extra kindness and care and not less. We don’t have stories that tell us that disability isn’t something that we can visibly see – that things like pain, brain fog, and fatigue can exist beneath a nice outfit and a smile. We don’t have stories that say that we need to believe people when they tell us they are unwell. Instead, we have discourses that say that disabled people are often fakers -- we are trained to bring doubt instead of empathy to our encounters with disabled bodies.

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, ahimsa and 18 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An excellent read.