1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

One statistical analysis must not rule them all, 2022, Wagenmakers et al

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by CRG, May 19, 2022.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One statistical analysis must not rule them all, 2022, Wagenmakers, Sarafoglou, Aczel, Nature, https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01332-8

"Any single analysis hides an iceberg of uncertainty. Multi-team analysis can reveal it.

A typical journal article contains the results of only one analysis pipeline, by one set of analysts. Even in the best of circumstances, there is reason to think that judicious alternative analyses would yield different outcomes.

For example, in 2020, the UK Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling asked nine teams to calculate the reproduction number R for COVID-19 infections1. The teams chose from an abundance of data (deaths, hospital admissions, testing rates) and modelling approaches. Despite the clarity of the question, the variability of the estimates across teams was considerable (see ‘Nine teams, nine estimates’).

On 8 October 2020, the most optimistic estimate suggested that every 100 people with COVID-19 would infect 115 others, but perhaps as few as 96, the latter figure implying that the pandemic might actually be retreating. By contrast, the most pessimistic estimate had 100 people with COVID-19 infecting 166 others, with an upper bound of 182, indicating a rapid spread. Although the consensus was that the trajectory of disease spread was cause for concern, the uncertainty across the nine teams was considerably larger than the uncertainty within any one team. It informed future work as the pandemic continued."

More at link: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01332-8

2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is what the authors propose:

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it depends what kind of data it is. I agree with epidemiological studies involving modelling in order to use for prediction, as with the example of Covid R value predictions, it's a good thing for more than one analysis to be done and compared.

But for clinical trials, the important thing, as far as I can see, is to have preregistered statistical analysis plans and to report on that basis, so they can't do post hoc analysis to cherry pick and only report results of analyses that suit their preferred outcome.