1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

OMF: Stanford Genome Technology Center Applies to NIH

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Eagles, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMF: Stanford Genome Technology Center Applies to NIH

https://www.omf.ngo/2019/06/24/sgtc-applies-to-nih/

The Stanford Genome Technology Center (SGTC), under the direction of Ronald W. Davis, PhD, has submitted several RO1 grant applications to NIH to continue and scale up several projects that OMF is funding. Below are descriptions of the newest proposals.

By Ronald W. Davis, PhD

We recently submitted two NIH R01 applications, one from Stanford (PI: Ron Davis) that focuses on the RBC deformability assay and one by Rahim Esfandyarpour from UC Irvine on developing the nanoneedle for higher throughput. Both grants are using the OMF-funded patient sample collection and processing done at the SGTC under a Stanford IRB approved protocol. They are an extension of the foundational work that has been funded by OMF...

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NIH demanded hypothesis-testing from senior researchers working at world-class facilities. They don't always demand that, they could have set aside exploratory research budgets, but they demanded it here.

Here it is. Let's say whether the goalposts will move once more.

3. theJOYdecision

theJOYdecision Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMF have only gained in prestige over time. They’ve engaged a growing audience. Patients and caregivers have got bolder in standing together and standing for ourselves. Some members of the media have become more sympathetic. We have an ally right in the CNN. If the NIH shifts the goalposts I suggest we make sure there’s hell to pay. :D

alktipping likes this.
  4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that it is great that they are trying to get as much funding as they can and seem to be really Trying to go at this from several angles simultaneously. There is urgency with this group and luckily for us that is combined with top scientists with connections and experience in moving research forward at a fitting speed. For me they are the beacon of hope.

There seems to have been a symposium at Harvard this month, written up by Chris Armstrong
    https://www.omf.ngo/2019/06/24/me-cfs-harvard-collaboration-building-momentum
    Harvard has funding from OMF I think.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder where these 4 applications are in the process. Must be 5 months now. None appear in the NIH reporter tool :(. I wish the process was more transparent.
    Nine months have passed since this application
    Solve ME/CFS keep saying how important it is to have initial results from pilot studies when applying for larger grants at NIH. These all have promising pilot data............

Simon M, Amw66 and Binkie4 like this.