1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

OMF ME/CFS Working Group Meeting - September 26 - 28, 2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Creek

Creek Established Member

Back in Spring or early Summer, I read something from OMF and/or Ron Davis suggesting that the research coming up was so promising, they expected to be announcing results around the end of summer that would be significant for treatment. I'm kicking myself for not making some note to myself, in an obvious impossible-to-forget place, of where I read that. But I know for certain I saw something along those lines, and so, although I know that I shouldn't hold my breath and I know it doesn't mean some amazing new treatment will be available immediately, this did help me keep myself and my daughter going through summer. But her hope is flagging badly, and I don't know exactly what research was referred to back then, that we should be hearing results from around now, so I can't report back to her on it.
    Anyone have any idea?

MeSci, Inara, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t know @Creek but in my experience you should always mentally add at least six months to any due date outlined for scientific publication :(:hug:

Inara, MarcNotMark, Creek and 3 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The Stanford symposium talks tomorrow might give some clues.

MeSci, Binkie4, Creek and 2 others like this.
  4. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm pretty sure it was about metabolic trap hypothesis.

Binkie4, Trish, andypants and 2 others like this.
  6. Creek

Creek Established Member

Thanks everyone! How wonderful to get such good answers to such a vague question.

Skycloud, MarcNotMark, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We always were. I think that got missed in the early discussion.

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We still lack proof of any causes, and despite this multiple candidate drug therapies are in various stages of testing, including at OMF. We are however accumulating so very much data it now needs IT support to do much with it. With that much data we can formalise many hypotheses, and with rapid testing approaches being developed by OMF and others the usual many years to results will be much shorter.

The problem has always been the same. Too little data, many hypotheses, too many resources needed to investigate them all right now. The too little data problem is dwindling. We have more focused hypotheses. We have never had this many resources, the most important of which are the large number of very good researchers, as exemplified by this symposium.

The thing I try to keep in mind is that we possibly lack much of the data we need to figure it all out. That is changing. We also cannot know which hypotheses are right until they are tested. When we have answers we will look back and possibly say it was so darn obvious. However its only obvious after we have the test data, before that its only a possibility.

Creek, Skycloud, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

That's all very well, and I'm really glad that they are able to have fun, but when will anything, by anybody, actually be published?

And on the subject of data sharing, didn't I hear that there has been delays in being able to share the data from the Seriously Ill study?

Creek, Skycloud, John Mac and 8 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hasn’t a paper been submitted, I think on red blood cells? Struggling to remember where that was said. I think- in the bio of one of the new scientists working on ME.

ETA: it mat have been in the bio of Dr Mohsen Nemat- Gorgani, but this is from an unreliable memory. If a paper has been submitted, I would have expected it to be shared widely at this symposium.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  12. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this info was from August:
    https://www.omf.ngo/2018/08/15/mohsen-nemat-gorgani/

13. Trish

I'm sure they will have shared the results of the RBC study in the private discussions, but I think until a paper is published, or at least accepted for publication, they can't share the details in a public symposium. Very frustrating for us, as papers can take many months to get published.

JaimeS, Creek, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Aroa, Creek, adambeyoncelowe and 4 others like this.
  15. Trish

I hope what progress has been made on publication and findings will be revealed in today's symposium. Doubt I'll be able to stay awake for it all though.

Creek, Skycloud, Lisa108 and 6 others like this.
  16. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS, I don't know if you'll be able to ask questions from the floor (or maybe prompt people before they speak!) but we're all keen to know what publications are in press...

JaimeS, Aroa, adambeyoncelowe and 4 others like this.
  17. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS

If possible, please ask Professor Hanson as to whether she will be testing at a larger cohort her findings of Liver function disruption and metabolites suggesting Hepatotoxicity.

EDIT : No need to @JaimeS, Thanks! There is an option for submitting questions here :

https://www.omf.ngo/questions/

Also, are they planning to perform Fibroscans to ME/CFS Patients? There is no answer to my question posted since 2017 unfortunately :

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...-17-research-update.49749/page-17#post-857103

Apart from the Fibroscans i sent to Dr Davis and Dr Hanson, here is one e-mail from a Swiss Practitioner who performed a Fibroscan to one of his patients (32-years old, female) :

fibros.png

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Barry and Perrier like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hopefully there will be a flood of them by the time NICE start to make their deliberations for the new guidelines :emoji_fingers_crossed:

ukxmrv, NelliePledge, JaimeS and 5 others like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I also hope is that NICE appreciate the ground is shifting rapidly under their feet in favour of physiological scientific evidence, during the very time their review is underway. So, for NICE's own sake as much as anything else, need to really look with great diligence at the scientific evidence that is emerging ... and to please do more than just read the bl**dy abstracts! Hopefully they have got the message that this review, of all reviews, has to be way way more than a box ticking exercise.

NelliePledge, JaimeS, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  20. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's correct. Was submitted, don't know if it was published, yet.

andypants and Binkie4 like this.