Off label use of Aripiprazole shows promise as a treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Crosby et al. 2021

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Jaybee00, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That Twitter feed is bad/not hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
    Wyva, DokaGirl, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The clinicians at Stanford could have done a decent study for not much more than it cost them to do the useless study that they published. They had patients willing to try Abilify, patients presumably with insurance to pay for the drugs and the clinician time to screen and prescribe - surely they could have just enrolled those patients in a cross-over study with a placebo treatment.

So, let's do them elsewhere. We have a global community willing to help. I'm sure that a trial of Abilify could be organised in Australia for 10% of the figure Ron has suggested, probably considerably less. It doesn't need to be a big trial to be convincing and justify more research, it just needs to be well-done. Researchers might surprised at what could be achieved if they started working more closely with patients.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The study was “not good”, but it was not useless.

It was not useless because it was at least something, with some data, however imperfect. Can you imagine if they applied for a grant for a 3 million dollar study with NO basis to back it up?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
    alktipping, MEMarge, sb4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I actually think the paper was worse than useless, because it muddied the waters. It didn't move us closer to understanding if Abilify can help patients. Just like the PACE trial, it combines a lack of blinding with subjective outcomes. If I, a person with ME/CFS who really wants a useful treatment, can write off such a study as providing no evidence that Abilify works, it's certainly too easy for people in the NIH who don't believe ME/CFS is worth researching to do the same.

They don't need to jump to such a large and expensive trial. What I've been trying to say is that clinicians could incorporate useful studies into their normal care of patients. Having got patient approval, the patient could enter into a double blinded crossover study. So, 2 months on the treatment or a placebo, then 2 weeks wash out, and 2 months on the placebo or the treatment - or something like that.

I understand I'm a long way away and don't know a lot. But why wouldn't that work? What are the hurdles preventing it? People could still tweak the dosage during the treatment period if they wanted to.

I'm sure most patients would be fine with a trial structure like that as it gives them a better idea as to whether the treatment actually helps them personally.

alktipping, Mij, lycaena and 8 others like this.
  5. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like a crappy situation, but I wonder if they are not in contact with the right people. For example, there was recently a double-blinded drug trial registered for Solriamfetol specifically in the treatment of ME/CFS (ref). If it's possible to get this done for this type of drug it should be possible to do something similar with Abilify. The trial is run by a psychiatrist, but if that's the best route to get these types of drugs trialed, I wouldn't mind it.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    lunarainbows, Helene and Hutan like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Responding to questions about Abilify

"Some doctors in the US are prescribing Aripiprazole, but it is not licensed for use in the UK. It's very important to reiterate that Aripiprazole has not been sufficiently tested in robust, large, clinical trials to know if it's effective in relieving the symptoms of M.E. – you can read more about why clinical trials are essential on our medications page (scroll to the last section).

A trial to test Aripiprazole would need significant investment, and it’s not something Action for M.E. has the funds or expertise to take forward alone. We are always willing to work in partnership with others to achieve shared goals and would be willing to consider an approach from an organisation wanting to take forward a clinical trial for this or any other medication that potentially shows promise for people with M.E."

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/responding-to-questions-about-abilify/