1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Obtaining work-related disability benefits in the UK: ESA and UC general guidance and advice

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Simbindi, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am starting this thread to bring together all the links to guidance and advice for claiming the main UK disability benefits of Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and the new Universal Credit (UC). This thread is intended for general links and advice, not specific to any individual's circumstances. Many ESA claimants will be transferred over to UC over the coming years. Guidance to help members through their transfer to UC will also be posted here.

MEMarge, Annamaria, John Mac and 9 others like this.
  2. Simbindi

MEMarge, Annamaria, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  3. Simbindi

This organisation provides some of the best guidance for ESA and UC (as well as PIP and DLA). They have been mentioned and recommended in this forum across many threads and posts, but I'm putting a link here too so that it can be readily seen by members needing working age benefit advice:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

It is well worth the £20 annual subscription, which includes downloadable copies of all their guidebooks and access to their forum to ask specific advice from the moderators and other members.

Daisy, MEMarge, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  4. Simbindi

Other members have mentioned Fightback4justice as being very useful. I don't know much about this organisation, but hopefully members who do will post more information about them on this thread.

MEMarge, Annamaria, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  5. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any reason for leaving out PIP?

I think I started a thread with useful PIP-related information in here somewhere ...

Ah yes, here it is: https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-pip-appeals-advice-recommendations.8305/

MEMarge and ukxmrv like this.
  6. Simbindi

Yes, I am going to start a similar thread soon for PIP/DLA. ESA/UC is assessed differently to PIP/DLA and this is reflected in the various legislation. I plan to explain this and how to approach the different benefit assessments. They each need their own thread to do them justice and keep the clarity for the reader.

Edit: I have previously started a comparable thread for obtaining social care, which I am also going to add to over time.

Edit 2: I have amended the thread title to show this thread is for 'out of work' benefits (whereas PIP can be claimed if the person is either in or out of employment).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    MEMarge and Wits_End like this.
  7. Simbindi

Also, it will take me time to build up the information on the threads, obviously other members should feel free to add their own posts too. But it would be great if the threads can keep to general information, guidance and advice, so that the reader can easily locate the information they are seeking from the thread.

I have specifically put these 'general advice' threads in the public area of the forum so they can help the maximum number of people, including our guest visitors.

8. Wits_End

Excellent, thank you very much, Simbindi.

Trish, Sarah Restieaux and Wonko like this.
  9. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately it's not that simple as PIP is assessed differently from DLA. DLA still applies to children under 16. DLA still applies adults born before 8 April 1948 who already have an award but may need to have it looked at again. The ME charities seem to have forgotten that DLA still applies to these adults, who will not be transferred to PIP.

ladycatlover and Wits_End like this.
  10. Simbindi

I know this, but I was explaining why I was seperating in and out of work benefits.

Edit: Once these threads have actually 'taken shape' I may ask members to go back and delete some of these 'question' posts, just to keep the information threads easy to read. Sorry, it will take me a few weeks to put enough information on them all to demonstrate what I am fully intending to acheive!

Edit 2: I am aware about the DLA situation because of my involvement with autism advocacy. I'm also planning to cover attendance allowance for retirees.

Edit 3: It makes sense to keep PIP and DLA together as often people are on DLA to start with and then get transfered to PIP. Also, to cover AA in the same thread as all these benefits are about extra money for care and disability cost needs, even though assessed differently (however, on reflection, I may decide to create a thread for each and cross-reference them - I will think about this over the next few days when I review the legislation and case law)

11. Simbindi

Members can put links on these public threads to any relevant threads in the membes only area, that is, those member-only threads where people have been discussing their personal experiences in relation to claiming these benefits. Non-members will not be able to access or read the posts, but obviously members will be able to.

I'm not sure if I've worded that very well - I may come back and edit this statement!

Wits_End likes this.
  12. Simbindi

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Wits_End, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  13. Simbindi

Wits_End, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  14. Simbindi

I don't have time at the moment to give a summary, but here is a link to some useful information given to a parliamentary select committee [Edit: correct link inserted]:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/829/82902.htm

There are more links if you click on the reference numbers in the reference section at the end of the doc. For example, the training schedule for Maximus HCPs is given, along with other statistics and useful things to know:

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenev...tee/pip-and-esa-assessments/written/75946.pdf

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  15. Wits_End

Thanks, Simbindi. But it doesn't go as far as appeals, by the look of things :(

ladycatlover likes this.
  16. Simbindi

I'm currently helping someone try to get a home assessment (called a DV in the DWP guidance) for his ESA. The parliamentary enquiry above got Maximus to reveal they agree this in less than 1% of face to face assessments. Their argument is that if someone has needs that require a home visit it is likely their 'filework' review would have given them a paper-based assessment.

It is good to know what the goalpost is - in Maximus's case it's about 4 inches (so, smaller than the ball).

ladycatlover and Annamaria like this.