1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NZ: Post-Viral Research Aotearoa (PVRA) - research organisation

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Hutan, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.pvra.nz
    Crowd-Funded Research into Long Covid, ME/CFS & Other Post-Viral Illnesses
    Hosted at the University of Auckland

Immunologist Anna Brooks is the Principal Investigator. Other co-founders have lived experience of ME/CFS and Long Covid. With the people involved, I think we can feel confident that there won't be any BPS nonsense. The website content reads well.

There's an exciting opportunity here to direct donor funds to something useful, and for collaborations with overseas investigations.

They are currently recruiting for one study:

Mij, Wyva, shak8 and 11 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I signed up for this study. There were a few slightly ambiguously worded questions but not in any way in a psychosomatic red flag sort of way, just ordinary screening questions not tested sufficiently on outsiders to check for potential ambiguities. Just a minor nuisance issue and easily resolved by asking the very responsive team for clarification.

As someone not living near a testing center I'm hoping they can get their planned home collection kits up and running. I think this is contingent on funding.

That's my biggest worry re this research, that insufficient funding will force them to reduce the scope of the study - cohort size, number and type of tests run, etc - to such a degree that any findings will be weak. I hope that won't be the case but crowdfunding this sort of thing isn't easy

I also made a small donation but if anyone reading this with much deeper pockets could reach into them, like reeeeal deep...

3. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just emailed them and put my name forward.

Ravn, Mij, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like a positive initiative.