1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Numeric Rating Scales Show Prolonged Post-exertional Symptoms After Orthostatic Testing of Adults With [ME/CFS], van Campen et al, 2021

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Numeric Rating Scales Show Prolonged Post-exertional Symptoms After Orthostatic Testing of Adults With Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2020.602894/full

Mij, leokitten, ahimsa and 12 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like an interesting study.

I short, they tested pain, fatigue and concentration difficulties for a period of up to 7 days after head-up tilt testing. While the symptom score increased slightly in the ME/CFS (with or without fibromyalgia) it remained fat around zero in healthy controls. The authors say that the results are similar to findings on PEM after cardiopulmonary exercise testing.

The authors used a numerical scale from 0-10 for each of the three symptoms. I think this is a better approach than much of existing questionnaires, to measure symptom changes over time.

Simon M, ahimsa, tmrw and 8 others like this.
  3. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have mentioned my experience of a Tilt Table Test before, in other threads.

I saw the Consultant, had the tilt table procedure and a follow up review with the Consultant.

Despite the letter saying I "was well on leaving", my 86 year old mother had had to guide me out to father's car.
    I had been unable to speak to her for 5-10 mins when out from the tilt table test & still could not speak properly/word find for at least an hour afterwards.
    I had many symptoms whilst on the table and yet Consultant found 'dysautonomia is not the cause of her symptoms'.

Keeping a record for a study such as this would have been an extremely useful tool to show the Consultant at the follow-up review, who may then have persevered with some additional investigations for me, rather than just discharging me as “no evidence of PoTS, Orthostatic Hypertension or any other condition”.

ahimsa, NelliePledge, Mij and 4 others like this.