1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NPR story (3/27/2018): How Bad Medicine Dismisses and Misdiagnoses Womens Symptoms?

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by TrixieStix, Mar 31, 2018.

1. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...hare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

As she began to research her own condition, Dusenbery realized how lucky she was to have been diagnosed relatively easily. Other women with similar symptoms, she says, "experienced very long diagnostic delays and felt ... that their symptoms were not taken seriously."

Dusenbery says these experiences fit into a larger pattern of gender bias in medicine. Her new book, Doing Harm, makes the case that women's symptoms are often dismissed and misdiagnosed — in part because of what she calls the "systemic and unconscious bias that's rooted ... in what doctors, regardless of their own gender, are learning in medical schools."

Sue, ScottTriGuy, fossil and 5 others like this.
  2. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, we know now that my husband must come to all doctor’s appointments for my daughter. I only wish someone had told
    me that sooner.

3. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An excerpt from Maya Dusenbery's book, Doing Harm.
    Chapter 7 Contested Illnesses: When Diseases Are “Fashionable”
    I always like to bring someone along myself.