1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(Not a recommendation) Alastair Miller on CFS

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I doubt it, I was unimpressed to see the MEA had this in their latest newsletter
    MEA.jpg

2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh i probably wrong then, i suspicious of everyone since Crawley was disingenuous about the MEA on the radio recently trying to make out they didnt want research into paediatric ME when she knows perfectly well it was SMILE they didnt want.... it's all just so underhand & sly, & it feels like CS is a very unwelcome voice in the press (to the BPS crew). I know many would like him to say much more, but when AfME are so 'on-side' the MEA isnt very convenient for the BPSers. I'm just a bit :cautious::cautious::cautious: i guess.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sorry, didn't explain myself very well. Given that the MEA had that article about his little team of BPSers in their newsletter, my suspicion is that Barton would play nice for a while but it could well be that he'd continue trying to undermine them as best he can.

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

30th Dec post

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reminds me of an old "Irish" joke (it's from the days when such jokes were in vogue), and someone asks an irishman to look at his car indicators to see if they are working. He goes and looks: "Now they're working ... now they're not, now they're working ... now they're not, ...".

Indigophoton, TiredSam and Wonko like this.
  6. Nancy Blackett

Nancy Blackett Established Member (Voting Rights)

It gives the impression that Colin Barton is more interested in representing the medical advisors to his Kent and Sussex CFS\ME Society, Dr Esther Crawley and Dr Alastair Miller, than being interested in representing the ME sufferers of Sussex and Kent.

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get the impression he's never understood why people like Miller/Crawley are being criticised, and has spent years feeling proud of himself for supporting science and evidence based approaches to CFS while authority figures pat him on the head and praise him for it. Seems unlikely he's going to be able to acknowledge that his sense of achievement was built on nonsense.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

He (CB) is probably loving that we’ve got a thread on here about his one man attempt at BPS propaganda. I guess with so much more positive media coverage in recent months he’s feeling the need to get the BPS message out there to the masses. He seems to be a lone voice on MEA Facebook popping up from time to time with BPS BS. Although there’s a few voices that post on there of the my cousin did LP or GET and recovered. Usually well countered. Even in AFME Facebook not many prepared to knowingly push BPS. More On the lines of the CFS/me clinic people were so supportive and really helped me type story. But the AFME Facebook seems a lot less active than MEA anyway. They only regular post AFME do is fundraiser of the week - anyone would think they’re only interested in money.

9. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts

I do hope between a rock and a hard place but suspect he is a 'rough tough' ex military sort of guy? Therein lies the problem, one for GW veterans too....

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-...ing-borrowed-something-blue-the-true-story-of

He created and led the Gulf War Illness Research Unit in 1996, a joint enterprise between IoP and War Studies, with professor Christopher Dandeker and Lawry Freedman. It has just been awarded large grant to study the health and social consequences of the Iraq deployment.
    He is civilian advisor to the British Army, and regularly advises MOD, DH, NATO and various US agencies on psychological aspects of military service, terrorism and psychological injury and side effects of Medical Counter Measures. (my emphasis)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2022
    Louie41, Hutan, Daisymay and 4 others like this.
  10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed this on MEpedia. Guess what he worked at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine --- where, you've guessed it, Paul Garner works --- @Trish might provide the link to the News Night interview but I'd caution against watching it.

I see Alistair was "Principal Medical Adviser from 2010-2015 for Action for ME" - which must cover the glory years --- supporting PACE ++++. I've no idea about his recent actions/views --- maybe they been more positive?

Alastair Miller

[​IMG]
    Dr. Alastair Miller, is a semi-retired infectious diseases physician. He was a founding member of the British Association for CFS/ME (BACME) and served as Principal Medical Adviser from 2010-2015 for Action for ME.[1] His main clinical interests are blood borne viruses, bone and joint infection and CFS/ME.[2]

During his career he was:[3]

• Consultant Physician in the Tropical & Infectious Disease Unit at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital
    • Honorary Fellow at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine 2005 until May 2014.
    • Honorary Senior Lecturer at The Institute of Infection and Global Health at Liverpool University

Louie41 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Linking to this post; Miller remains very much involved in pushing the BPS line:

bobbler, EzzieD, Ali and 3 others like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"No trials of graded exercise have shown to harm patients ..."

But their trials are designed to not spot all the kinds of harms that matter.

bobbler, Sean, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  13. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which = what? Gravy train/confirmation of being at the wheel of all this, or 'claimed eminence'? Potato potato unless you look at the state of where treatment and level of debility for those with ME/CFS is:

"Having been involved in working with patients over many years in the development of new therapies for HIV and hepatitis"

Which ones would these be? And how is 'recovery' defined in those conditions and their progress reported? Why do even these stats not existed for the condition he apparently presiding over in many areas for decades?

All he seems to be able to show for himself in the rest of his letter is nonsense about 'if only patients would stop expecting a voice and let me tell them how they are' and utter rage. Power differential issue or what highlighted here - I think this is surely evidence that 'research' done by this gang would not have been 'free will' regarding patient responses with no fear of what might be the impact if their answer was deemed to be 'wrong'?

From someone part of a group who will only use subjective reports in this way as 'evidence'.

Sean and Simbindi like this.