1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Norwegian journal for journalists covers the ME debate

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jun 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just reminds me of basically any election-cycle anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, it matters if you can bullshit enough people into backing you. The "debate" around ME has basically been politics, the round table, the back channel bartering with NICE, ZonMw etc. While actual researchers quietly go about their business and post results whether they be positive or negative.

alktipping, rvallee, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had kind of forgotten about it, but no clearer example of how utterly useless debate is with people whose only aim is to continue debating with nothing ever being resolved.

They had a formal debate and people were confused as to what the issues even are, because the underlying arguments can't be voiced as is. They really only want freewheeling debate that can go on indefinitely and where nothing is formal. A TV debate with an audience that can clap and laugh, not an academic one where substance matters.

Solstice, EzzieD, Lou B Lou and 2 others like this.
  3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is what they are trained in offcourse.

RedFox and Lou B Lou like this.