1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Norway - CFS/ME Research Conference Nov. 25th-26th 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kalliope likes this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting all those slides @Kalliope and @Tom Kindlon. I suppose the talks to go with the slides weren't recorded? Some of the slides are very interesting - but also involve a bit of guesswork as to their interpretation.

My main takeaway is that there are a number of interesting studies underway - yay!
    Haven't read the slides in detail yet, there's a lot of them, but here's a teaser for those of you who - like me - like knowing that there are scientists busily beavering away at solving the ME riddle.

There's a genetic study (426 ME-CCC & 973 controls) where they think they've found some possible candidate genes for ME susceptibility linked to autoimmunity. Replication is planned in a new Danish cohort.

Another study is planning to explore the role of microRNA in ME by characterizing the complete profile of miRNA in exosomes and other small extracellular vesicles (80 ME-CCC in the initial cohorts and 100 in the follow-up, same number of controls).

Also in progress is a study that searches for blood factors (peptides) different in ME (mentions FGF-21, GDF-15, C-Peptide). Initial findings suggest that signaling related to metabolic stress is increased in ME/CFS patients.

Another study is looking at defective energy metabolism and also family genes.

Outside Norway, there's a Spanish-led study that seems to be looking at possible connections between gut dysfunction and microglial activation with a paper currently being written up on increased gut permeability in ME. The same study - the slides are a bit confusing - also seems to look at everything you can measure with assorted consumer devices, with a paper on HRV and fatigue currently under review.

MEMarge, ScottTriGuy, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Ravn for providing a summary.
    These talks were not recorded as unpublished research was discussed, but the talks from the open seminar got filmed. Breen spoke there are well, so I assume his talk will be available soon.

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe PEM is caused by cellular (metabolic?) stress signals that are accumulating faster than they can be removed in response to increased activity.

Ravn, andypants and Andy like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

Ravn and Kalliope like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Trish and Andy like this.