1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Norway: Article about ME seminar with security

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are we sure that giant, wheelchair accessible, lightly armoured, cats with lasers weren't involved?

How else could a cup get knocked over/city be destroyed if they weren't.

Amw66, alktipping, TiredSam and 9 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup:

3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree bad enough to be ill, only to find yourself in receipt of this "help".

Apologies for the shorthand but these folks [Lightning process etc.] are nutters --- but I get annoyed when the Government/officialdom buys in --- there are plenty of nutters on Facebook etc. but Government/officialdom doesn't buy in to that. Why doesn't Government/officialdom stick with the Brian Hughes +++ i.e. rational views?

I consider myself to have plenty of unreliable/un-objective views by the way.

4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patient advocate Nina E. Steinkopf did the digging the journalist who wrote about this seminar with security should have done. There seems to be no record of communication between the University and the police about this seminar. Professor Reme has said it's easy to document threats and harassment against ME researchers, but when Steinkopf got in touch with her and asked which threats and harassment against ME researchers have been reported to the police, and also which police unit was contacted regarding the conference – and when, Reme did not wish to answer.

Steinkopf: Secret ME conference in Norway: Were the police on standby?

MSEsperanza, inox, ukxmrv and 17 others like this.
  5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I smell burning pants.

RedFox, EzzieD, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.
  6. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These honest researchers would not lie, surely?

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, rainy and 4 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds about right. I'm sure they did that, ask the police for recommendations, and were probably given generic answer with some amount of confusion from the police, who don't know the ins and outs of conspiracies in the BPS bubble. But the idea that police were on standby is beyond laughable. They have, you know, real work to do. This would be campus security anyway, or community police.
    And yet, this is the whole documentation:
    They want to present this as argument about science, but they aren't doing science, they are trying to directly influence the lives of millions of people, somehow without wanting to hear anything from the patients whose lives is impacted. This is simply not serious. There are loads of jobs in real science where no one is directly affected by their work. This is as coherent as a politician aggressively pushing a policy saying they don't want to hear from the people who will be affected by it. Childish nonsense.

EzzieD, Trish, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

In a new blog post from patient advocate Nina E. Steinkopf it's revealed that Research Director from the Norwegian Institute for Public Health, Signe Flottorp participated, at the seminar. She has since deleted e-mail correspondence with the organiser.

Steinkopf also shares the invitation to the seminar;

Quotes from the invitation:
    "This seminar is by invitation only, and following the Chatham House Rules, there is no recording allowed"

"The handpicked researchers selected to this event want to contribute thru science and collegial collaboration to share knowledge and experience towards the "truth" in concern for the people that experience long term symptoms and reduced function after an infection".

Research Director at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health attended secret seminar; deleted evidence

inox, Lilas, Solstice and 13 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Marit @memhj, Andy, inox and 9 others like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

inox, Kalliope, mango and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Kalliope

Patient advocate Nina E. Steinkopf has collected more details about the seminar, who participated and their network.

Steinkopf: Chief physician for the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration Marit Hermansen attended a secret ME seminar

quote:

This is a network that fights for one particular understanding of ME and Long Covid that is contrary to scientific consensus and promotes undocumented treatment methods.

It is disturbing when people with power gather in secret meetings with only specifically selected people to discuss the one «truth» about the lives and health of sick people. The participants have made an active choice not to listen to what biomedical research and the vast majority of patients say, but instead choose to gather at a secret seminar to explain why other countries’ health authorities and the patients are wrong.

A secret network has been exposed. It is a scandal that such key figures as Hermansen, Flottorp and Helland took part in the event, and it is a scandal that the University of Oslo was the organiser.

Thank you to those of you who requested access to the documents relating to the seminar – and didn’t give up.

MSEsperanza, mango, Lindberg and 9 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I truly don't understand how it's acceptable to have such bigoted opinions, opinions!, about an illness affecting millions. Opinions that are then acted upon, there is no separation of private and professional views here. This isn't like separating private religious beliefs with a duty-bound profession, the beliefs are entirely about the job and put into real life outcomes.

The claim itself doesn't even make sense, this has been known for over a century. Nothing in life works like this, this is the stuff of elves and leprechauns.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member