1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nonepileptic attack disorder and functional movement disorder: A clinical continuum?, 2020, Cavanna and Rather

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.epilepsybehavior.com/article/S1525-5050(20)30207-9/fulltext
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to have a problem with my muscles locking up - mainly my shoulders and jaw. I could consciously relax them but as soon as I stopped thinking about relaxing my muscles they would lock up again.

I've also had a problem for most of my life where my eyelid(s) or sometimes larger muscles would twitch and it wasn't under my conscious control. I couldn't stop benign fasciculations from happening (for example).

Since I started supplementing with magnesium and improved my basic nutrient levels both these problems have become a thing of the past.

Is it possible that non-epileptic seizures might be related to low nutrient levels?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychogenic_non-epileptic_seizure

It seems to me that doctors rarely if ever consider nutrient deficiency as a cause of anything. There is always an assumption that people eat well, even though we only have to look at some cultures and societies to see that simply isn't true.

Yessica, Simbindi, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

What a shame they didn't have groups of people with epilepsy and rheumatoid arthritis to question as well. Then, if there were no differences in 'most features' between all four, the authors could assume that NEAD and FMD and epilepsy, despite 'different phenotypic presentations' are three possible manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Mithriel, Arnie Pye, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.