1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

No exaggerated tremor severity perception in functional tremor, 2022, Huys, Edwards et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background

Symptoms of functional neurological disorder tend to be variable, yet patients often report them being present constantly and of permanently severe intensity. Furthermore, they typically worsen when they are mentioned or during clinical examination. Such phenomena are sometimes interpreted as indicating symptom exaggeration or even fabrication.

Methods
    To test the notion of inaccurate symptom perception or reporting, we directly compared subjective to objective tremulousness of reaching movements in people with a functional action tremor, people with an organic action tremor and healthy controls. Identical subjective and objective measures were used, thus eliminating any potential metacognitive confounders. Furthermore, we assessed both immediate perceptual experience with a real-time perceptual task, offering the most direct comparison; and near-time retrospective reports as the latter contribute to peoples’ overall judgement of their condition.

Results
    There was no significant difference in subjective compared to objective tremor severity between the three groups for either the real-time or retrospective conditions.

Conclusion
    People with functional tremor do not perceive or report their tremor in an exaggerated manner, compared to people with an organic tremor or healthy controls. We propose that symptom exacerbation through attentional mechanisms provides an alternative explanation for findings that are frequently attributed to ‘exaggeration’.

Paywall, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00415-022-11265-x

ukxmrv, Cheshire, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it not possible then that people with functional tremor have an undiagnosed organic tremor?

ukxmrv, Midnattsol, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh... I mean... wow. Children can see through that nonsense. Easily. Obviously, if symptoms are considered exaggerated, it's someone saying that, it's not the universe having some sort of alarm about them, they are "exaggerated" according to someone, someone saying that, for reasons. So that if someone says something is exaggerated when it's not, it's that evaluation that is obviously false.

Again, with the blatant showing that medicine is completely unable of self-examination if it involves any blame or fault, that even dealing with something so obvious they literally cannot find even the possibility that they could simply have been wrong, the most obvious explanation, literally the default.

Exaggeration, just as much as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. The beholder is wrong, but here is simply able to insist otherwise. There are two loci of attention here: the patient's and the physician's. The patient is reporting things and the physician is interpreting. Although it's possible for patients to exaggerate, and sometimes it's sadly necessary simply to emphasize as otherwise symptoms are dismissed entirely, the determination of what is appropriate vs exaggerated is 100% the physician's as this is what gets written down.

Seriously, though, this paper could be replaced entirely with this meme:

[​IMG]

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's hard to tell from the abstract exactly where this paper lands.

I think it's good that they objectively assessed tremor in the three groups and assessed subjective reports of how bad people thought there tremor was. I think it's good that the researchers reported that people with FND were accurately reporting the severity of their tremor. They seem to be suggesting that people diagnosed with FND who say they have a tremor should be believed, as they are accurately assessing it.

That sentence that you quote @rvallee, it might be an entirely reasonable conclusion based on this
    I think it's quite possible that a tremor worsens when you pay attention to it, without the tremor being a fabrication.

The authors might be saying "don't assume people whose tremor worsens when you draw attention to it are fabricating".

It would be good to have an experiment where it is seen if people with diagnosed "organic" tremors also have their tremors worsen when attention is drawn to them.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    NelliePledge, Wonko, Trish and 3 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Something like this:
    The influence of posture duration on hand tremor during tasks with attention-distraction in persons with Parkinson’s disease
    In that case, drawing attention to the tremor can reduce or even stop it, and stress can increase tremor.

I don't think it should be surprising that someone who really wants some help with a troublesome symptom might allow the tremor to be fully expressed rather than suppressing it when attention is drawn to it, and that the stressfulness of an encounter with a medical professional might also cause some worsening.

ukxmrv, rvallee, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.
    Especially for conditions with a history of misunderstanding, misdiagnosis, and mistreatment.

Midnattsol, rvallee, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Nor that the patient having some temporary influence (either way) on the expression of, or capacity to temporarily exceed the average limitations imposed by a symptom, proves the symptom is primarily functional/behavioural/whatever.

I can ignore my arthritic hips for a while, especially with the help of some painkillers, and then pay for it later. Doesn't mean I can ignore them arbitrarily, or live on painkillers, or that I won't pay for it later. And it certainly doesn't mean that it is 'functional' (i.e. a psycho-behavioural pathology). There is an envelope of trade-offs that can be worked within for at least many symptoms humans have to deal with.

Instead, the BPSers are taking normal productive psycho-behavioural responses to and self-management of difficult and dangerous health situations and arbitrarily pathologising them.

It is despicable beyond words.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Sid, Midnattsol, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ironically, more or less the same problem with "lie detectors". They are detecting something alright, just not lies.

Polygraphs aren't used in happy fun time settings, they are used antagonistically by design, to catch liars in a bind, who may have unrelated things they'd rather keep secret, or simply knowing that by virtue of their every reaction being judged, they may end up on the wrong end of someone wanting to catch someone for something, anything.

Personally, I find it completely normal for people to be "nervous", if we want to call being especially alert with that label, when in a context where everything we say and do will be judged, because there can be serious consequences from that judgment. It can sometimes take months, years, to get a single consult, and there may not be another chance for years after that. The stakes are so damn high for us, everything depends on those few minutes.

Especially in the context of chronic illness, where physicians act like both judge and prosecution, they so badly want to trip us that they will make mistakes simply because that mistake means they're right. I remember one time I had some spasticity issues with one hand that happened around the time of a GP appointment. I presented it wrong because I was already so exhausted by then, but my GP dismissed it saying she had seen that hand be OK, even though she pointed at the wrong one. Medicine is heavily judgmental and patients quickly realize that they can say all the right things and be perfectly truthful and still be failed. Not fail, be failed. We know who holds all the power in this relationship and that this process is often final, sometimes with long-term consequences.

This would be OK if it hadn't been misused exactly the same way for decades. But it has. Frankly, I find that dealing with physicians is a lot like dealing with the police in a context in which they can and will give us trouble just because they can. It has nothing to do with guilt or hiding anything, it's that we know that the process is not fair, that we can be faulted for things we didn't even do and that the consequences can be all the way up to deadly, which the physician will often never even know about, to them we're just 15-30 minutes out of a single day, nothing more.

Sean, Hutan, Wonko and 1 other person like this.