1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitric Oxide Modulates Metabolic Remodeling in Inflammatory Macrophages through TCA Cycle Regulation and Itaconate Accumulation, 2019, Crabtree et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(19)30784-3

wastwater, leokitten, sb4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. There was one exertion study on CFS-patients where they measured high levels of NO metabolites, although I can't remember seeing this repeated in other studies.

From: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jwh.2008.1255#B7 Couldn't find it at scihub unfortunately. Also I have no idea if it's eNOS or iNOS.

mariovitali and Andy like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does it say anywhere in all those words if more, or less, NO is helpful?

Nellie likes this.
  4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

That depends what the body uses it for ;) It can regulate different things in the body. In this case it mentions how it can induce a pro-inflammatory state, which would be useful depending if you need the immune system acting up. It's a vasodilator, so it can increase bloodflow to tissues, helpful when there's an increased need for oxygen and/or other nutrients or if the tissue needs to be cleared of some metabolite. If you frequently have low blood-pressure, more vasodilation might make it worse. As it briefly mentions in the summary-section Andy posted, it can also decrease energy production, in the full paper they mention yet another way it can do this.

I probably should wait to post this until my brain is a bit less fogged, but the main idea is it depends. I wouldn't want too much of it for no reason, though.

Wonko, Nellie and Andy like this.
  5. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very interesting , Thank you @Andy

Wonko and Andy like this.
  6. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Searched for copaxone,nitric oxide and cytokines for connections.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019